Lung Cancer Community
New diagnosis?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

New diagnosis?

I started nursing school and was required to have an Xray completed because 4 years ago I had tested pos for the Mantoux test for TB. I was treated for 9 months with INH and the CDC cleared me. In order to start school, I had the xray done and never thought twice about it. I got a call several days later from my PCP letting me know that they had found something in my right upper lobe and wanted me to have a CT scan with contrast. I did this on Thursday and on Friday recieved my results. The following is what the report from the Radiologist reads:

There is a 3 cm right upper lobe mass in the posterior segment. Requires further investigation inlcuding possible biopsy and or PET/CT. Findings indicate neoplasm until proven otherwise.

My doctor immediately called me and set me up with a pulmonologist for this upcoming Wed. They are pretty much telling me without the biopsy that it is cancer, from the report and I also have a family Hx. Both of my parents died of lung cancer. I am 34 years old, have smoked for the past 20 or so years of my life. I have had no other issues with breathing, or signs of cancer at all.

My question at this point, is could it be nothing at all? Am I all uptight and worried for what could be nothing? the impression and words I got from my Dr's office are that this is not good at all. I am ready to face this, and beat it. I have a great positive attitude about it. My husband in in the Army and was home on R&R from his deployment in Afghanistan but had to go back yesterday morning. The Army wont recognize any of this, until we have a biopsy result for them. My Physician even wrote a letter asking them to let him stay home to support me. No dice.

I would appreciate anyone's insight on this. Thank you in advance!