Lung Cancer Community
New diagnosis?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

New diagnosis?

I started nursing school and was required to have an Xray completed because 4 years ago I had tested pos for the Mantoux test for TB. I was treated for 9 months with INH and the CDC cleared me. In order to start school, I had the xray done and never thought twice about it. I got a call several days later from my PCP letting me know that they had found something in my right upper lobe and wanted me to have a CT scan with contrast. I did this on Thursday and on Friday recieved my results. The following is what the report from the Radiologist reads:

There is a 3 cm right upper lobe mass in the posterior segment. Requires further investigation inlcuding possible biopsy and or PET/CT. Findings indicate neoplasm until proven otherwise.

My doctor immediately called me and set me up with a pulmonologist for this upcoming Wed. They are pretty much telling me without the biopsy that it is cancer, from the report and I also have a family Hx. Both of my parents died of lung cancer. I am 34 years old, have smoked for the past 20 or so years of my life. I have had no other issues with breathing, or signs of cancer at all.

My question at this point, is could it be nothing at all? Am I all uptight and worried for what could be nothing? the impression and words I got from my Dr's office are that this is not good at all. I am ready to face this, and beat it. I have a great positive attitude about it. My husband in in the Army and was home on R&R from his deployment in Afghanistan but had to go back yesterday morning. The Army wont recognize any of this, until we have a biopsy result for them. My Physician even wrote a letter asking them to let him stay home to support me. No dice.

I would appreciate anyone's insight on this. Thank you in advance!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. The etiology and incidence of lung cancer is strongly correlated with tobacco use and pack years in specific. You have smoked for roughly 20 years, a pack per day makes it 20 pack years putting you at moderate risk of cancer. Other factors are familial predisposition( both parents had lung cancer), preexisting lung disease( Tuberculosis) and exposure to asbestos if relevant. in one fourth of people getting lung cancer, it is discovered on routine xray chest or CT as a solitary mass and may be asymptomatic. Symptoms related to cancer are cough, shortness of breath, chest pain, wheezing, hemoptysis or blood coughing out. Easy fatiguability, weight loss and night sweats are also present.
It may lead to shoulder pain if nerves are invaded or hoarseness if vocal cords are paralysed. There are other symptoms related to distant metastasis and due to hormone like substance production by tumor cells. You need to get a chest xray/ CT scan chest done immediately to understand symptoms better and rule out carcinoma. You might need a biopsy of this nodule. You are wise yourself and I need not advise you on smoking abstinence. Take care and all the best.