Lung Cancer Community
Nodules on CT scan

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

Nodules on CT scan

I had a CT scan ran twice on my lungs.  It shows multiple small nodules infilterates in both the right lung apex and right lower lobe with scarring (ground glass attenuation of the right apex as well.  The nodules are pretty stable from my last scan 4 monthes ago but the scarring is new.  Also there is now a lesion on my right thyroid.  What is your suggetion and theory on these findings?

This is best discussed with your doctor. There are a number of factors to consider here. What are the sizes of the nodules? Are they all in the upper lobes? Nodule size would have an impact on the risk of cancer. Are there any calcifications? Patterns of calcification also change the risk profile. Ground glass patterns tend to be more malignant that solid nodules. Other factors would be your personal profile, as to smoking status, your age, and the presence of other lung diseases or symptoms.
Since you were advised monitoring, it seems that your overall risk is not that high to warrant a biopsy. Why was the scan done in the first place?
Thyroid nodules are common, up to 50% of people may have incidental findings from a scan. Features of hyperfunctioning should be investigated, the size of the nodule and the pattern of calcifications may guide the need to perform a biopsy.
I meant to also include with my last posting that I do have M.S.  I take IV steroids, Imuran, Copaxone injections and Amatadine.  Could any of these cause this since they pretty much wipe out my immune system?
Thanks for all of your help.
I am 48 years old and a non smoker, but have been around second hand smoke all of my lfe.  There is cancer that runs in my family, my father passed away from it.  The lesions are in the right upper and lower lobe of my lung and right apex where the ground glass scarring is found.  My aunt passed away with pulmonary fibrosis and thus concerns me with the findings.  I have a cough where I do get a thick phlem but can't get it all the way up to see what color it is.  The reason we found the lesions is because I was in the hospital due to my heart.  They ran a CT scan and that is when they found the nodules and asked for a repeat within 3 months.  Since then the new grandulas glass and the lesion on my thyroid came up.  Thanks you so much for your wisdom on this.  It will help me when I go to my physician.