Lung Cancer Community
Nodules

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

Nodules

What are nodules and how big will they get before they are discovered on an x-ray?I had an x-ray of my chest last month they said it was fine,a few days ago I had to go to the ER for chest pain and they took another x-ray.Was called by the hospital and they say I have a nodule in my left lung.Needless to say I am a smoker and have been for years.Any info is appreciated...cindy
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi Cindy,
How are you? Lung nodules or small masses of tissue in the lung  appear as round, white shadows on a chest X-ray or CT scan. These are quite common and can be benign in nature. Causes of noncancerous lung nodules include infections, lung cysts, and vascular abnormalities. Noncancerous lung nodules usually require no treatment. However, larger nodules may suggest a possibility of malignancy. If the nodule is new, additional imaging studies such as CT scan may be done. Monitoring the nodule for changes in size or appearance using periodic imaging tests may also be done.  Discuss this with your doctor for proper evaluation. Take care and do keep us posted.
Had a CT scan on friday.My primary called me this morning(sat)and said he is sending me to a surgeon.The nodule or mass did not show up on the last CT scan in 2010.Im being told not to worry bout this but I am.Are they going to remove whatever it is? I need some words of encouragement right about now
I also have latent TB and tested positive on a skin test 6 yrs ago.Could this be the cause of these nodules or does it have to be active tb first?
Just came from  dr office.The mass as he called it is in an ackward place.It is between the upper and lower lobe by my heart.He is sending me for a PET scan and going to be doing a needle biopsy.He said worst case scenario He would have to remove my left lung.Almost passed out in the office from this news.I AM VERY FRIGHTENED !!!!!He did say that the mass doesnt have the characteristics of cancer and has smooth edges but cant be sure.Please someone answer me soon !!!!!
Please someone answer me soon I am very worried!!!
Went for a bronch and needle biopsy yesterday and for some reason the dr said it wasnt necessary(the biopsy)He scraped it or brushed it.I dont know if this is a good sign or not.Had a PET scan today.Now he is saying that if he removes it it will only be my lower lobe.Im still scared  and hoping someone will answer me soon !!!
Oh my gosh, I feel your worry. I certainly hope that all turns out very well for
you!
Wow, you've gone thru a lot! I had a CT Guided Biopsy and they couldn't get a good sample so I'm going in for a Wedge Resection and will have that biopsied for a definitive answer and possible lobectomy. I know exactly how scared you are!

Let us know what happened.

Hugs, Candy
How big was your nodule? That seems really quick for everything. I hope your ok please let us all know how your doing and what has happened.