Lung Cancer Community
PET SCAN SUV

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

PET SCAN SUV

I just had a pet scan done on june 3rd and this is the second time i had this result the frist one was done in may of 2012 and read this New FDG avid left adrenal nodule with a maximum SUV of 2.5 greater than the adjacent liver that
demonstrates a max SUV of 2.2 corresponding to a slightly larger small 1.1 cm left adrenal nodule and now i have this after one year  New mild FDG uptake of the left adrenal gland with a maximum SUV of 2.6, disproportionate to the liver that demonstrates a maximum SUV the of 2.4; with a stable small left adrenal nodule measuring 11 mm. I am not sure what to make of this last PET SCAN I will be having a CT Scan done just like last time that came back no cancer found. any insight would be nice.

thanks
Sgtmac77
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Standard uptake value  s a simple way of determining activity in PET imaging which is most commonly used in Flourodeoxyglucose (FDG) imaging. This is used to measure response of cancers to treatment but may be influenced by factors such as image noise or  low image resolution. The cut off between benign and malignant lesion is in the SUV range of 2.0 - 2.5. Also, PET sensitivity and specificity decreases with lesions smaller than 7mm and continued follow-up is usually recommended.  It is best that you discuss the result with your attending physician for proper evaluation. Other factors such as medical history, symptoms present, results of other tests are important considerations also.  Take care and do keep us posted.
I had a ct scan that showed nodules in lung, abdomen, and periaorta, then pet scan 3 weeks later showing suv numbers of 6.4 in lungs ( 2 nodules, and 10.4 nodule in abdomen, and 6.2 suv at peri-aorta area. what do you think?