Lung Cancer Community
Parenchymal density of lung in chest x-ray

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

I hope you can help since I am going out of my mind.  My mom has been followed by a pulmonary specialist for 3 years regarding 3 nodules in her lungs that have not grown in size over the time they have been observed.  This past time on July 30th have shown the following results:

Medial right upper lobe parenchymal density is now seen.  No effusion is seen.  

Interval development of a medial right upper lobe parenchymal density.  Further evaluation

With CT imaging may be helpful.

They told her over the phone that they saw a shadow and wanted her to come in for a CT scan.  They said there is a possibility that the image was not taken properly but it could be something else.

She had a CT scan today but we have no idea when we will hear anything .

If you have any information or opinion I would greatly appreciate it!

Lauren

Monitoring nodules for changes in size and character are common practice. Was the previous test done an X-ray and this is the first time she is having a CT? The advantage of the CT is that it would be better able to estimate the size and to look at patterns that would raise the suspicion of malignancy. Neither test is diagnostic, and hence confirmation with a biopsy would be needed.

How old is your mom? And is she a smoker? The incidence of cancer is a function of age, and smoking is a major risk factor. The recommendation for doing a biopsy may also be based on risk factors.

Stay positive.