Lung Cancer Expert Forum
Possible Dx for Enlarged Lymph Nodes of Chest

Welcome to the International Lung Cancer forum. Questions related to lung cancer will be answered by a medical doctor.

Had chest xray that was abnormal: "new right hilar lesion, ill-defined 3cm x 2cm.  No evidence of focal airspace disease to suggest pneumonia.  Remaining lung fields are clear.  Cardiac silhouette remains w/in normal limits.  Left hilar region unchanged."  This xray was taken this Mon 3-23-09 & compared to xray taken on 12/1/08 (3 mos ago).  They sent me right back for CTScan & called same day to say it was not lesion, but was Lymph node & they will schedule me to see Pulmonologist for biopsy.  I have been sick for month:  started w/flu, then bronchitis, now fever again & incredible weakness, restricted breathing, etc.  I recently (Jan) had bone tumors remvd fr left ulnar bone & biopsy was non-cancer.  I have been having night sweats for about 4 months & now itching at night too.  I also had round of blood work for auto-immune tests this week & they were w/in normal ranges.  What are the possibilities here?  I had scleroderma panel (including pulmonary) done in Dec & all was OK.  Any insight you could share is greatly appreciated.
With fever, lymph nodes in the chest, itching, weakness, sweating, and illness, the main diagnosis that needs to be considered is a lymphoma. This is a condition where lymph glands swell up, and may need chemotherapy, radiation, or both during treatment. Results of treatment are usually good.
You have been scheduled for a biopsy, and the diagnosis will be either confirmed or excluded when that report is available.
Of course, the possibility of a non-cancer diagnosis (for example infection, tuberculosis, sarcoidosis, etc) is always there. This is especially true because you have had illness for two years, and many tests have been done, with no evidence yet of any cancer. Pl keep us posted about your test results.
All the best, and God Bless!
I should have noted that I am 40 yr old female, non-smoker.  Been sick for couple years with most problems pointing toward auto-immune, but Rheum not yet able to make definitive diagnoses.  Hope that info helps.