Lung Cancer Expert Forum
Prognosis for 88 year old mom.
About This Forum:

Welcome to the International Lung Cancer forum. Questions related to lung cancer will be answered by a medical doctor.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Prognosis for 88 year old mom.

My 88 year old mom was recently hospitalized for pneumonia, for the 4th time in about 3 years.  She had a CT scan in 2007 that showed "2 densities in the right lung base".  A new CT scan showed just "one large mass measuring 2.6 cm".  A CT-guided biopsy was recommended but due to her COPD and general weakness it was cancelled.  She also has "Subcentimeter fat-containing lymph nodes" in the axilla.  Because there will not be a biopsy we are in suspended animation not knowing what might happen.  She has told her doctor if she has cancer she doesn't want to know, thus we, the family have no idea what to expect.  From this information can you give us any kind of idea what the prognosis might be.  I always thought that if a CT scan showed up a mass, it was very likely cancer, but no one seems to want to tell us anything.  Thanks in advance for your consideration. Lyndajean
Tags: prognosis
Related Discussions
322973_tn?1239908038
Hi,

Your mother has had CT scan evidence of these lung shadown since 2007. If this was lung cancer to begin with, I would have expected it to have enlarged and spread widely over this 2 year period. It is unlikely to have remained a localised, 2.6 cm mass. Thus we actually dont really know if we are dealing with cancer or not (it is of course theoretically possible that a cancer developed later in the same region as the previous lung shadows).

Since a lung mass has been documented, it needs to be investigated, diagnosed, and treated. If biopsy is considered risky for her, then you could discuss other investgation methods with your doctor. These include a sputum cytology, fibre-optic bronchoscopic lavage, CT guided FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) etc. These are usually less risky than a biopsy. In case all of these are unsuitable for her (because of location of mass, age, co-morbid conditions like COPD etc) then a non-invasive test like a PET-CT may provide some information on which to proceed forward. Please let me know about your mothers progress.

All the best, and God bless!
1 Comment
Blank
A related discussion, Additional CT Scan results was started.
Blank
A related discussion, prognosis 88 yr old non-smoker was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank