SLIGHTLY PROMINENT BRONCHIAL MARKINGS/CHEST XRAY?
I've been having progessively worsening back pain between the shoulder blades for over half a year now. I'm a 31 yr old non smoker (maybe 10 or so back in college).  I've seen a nuerosurgeon who said the spinal MRI (Lumbar and Thorassic) looked fine.  I'm doing physical therapy but the pain still persists and is getting worse.  I recently had a chest X-Ray which came back normal, but did say I had some "slightly prominent bronchial markings" in my right lung and that "f/u studies could be considered, as clinically warranted."  This is still really bothering me, even though my primary doctor said this was a normal reading and that results like that come back frequently.  Is this normal/common in a healthly person?  Could that be a sign of early lung cancer and should i request a f/u chest ct scan?  And lastly could it be the cause of the back pain?  

I had a 40 yr old cousin who died from cancer not too long ago and I guess i've been overly anxious about this as of late.

Thank you very much for your time,

Andrew

The Chest X-ray didn’t sound particularly alarming. Lung cancers tend to show us as a nodule or a mass.

A finding of prominent markings may reflect increased pressures within the lungs. The symptom that could be associated with this is difficulty breathing not back pain. Such markings may only mean normal wear and tear, and may appear in people who would never have lung disease. A critical point to take in here is “as clinically warranted”. Hence, the XRay is meant to explore your problem (symptoms), not explore all possible problems emanating from the XRAy.

Keep the non-smoking habit. At present there is no effective way to screen for lung cancer (though there are developments using CT scan, but it is yet to demonstrate solid gains in the same way that the Pap smear has saved so many women from Cervical cancer), prevention is best.
Dr. Heinrik,

Thank you very much for you help.  And I'm sorry to bother you or sound repetitive, but should i even be worrying about Lung Cancer or am i just being anxious about nothing?  I guess i should also mention that i did some concrete removal (jackhammering) about a year and a half ago for several weeks without the use of a respirator.  I'm hoping that doesn't put me at greater risk for lung cancer.  

I'm seeing the doctor today and i'm wondering if I should ask for a f/u ct scan of the chest?

thank you again,

Andrew

While it may make sense to try and detect lung cancer early, there isn’t any known method for doing this.

The CT scan is a promising technology, however, it is also known that radiation may also cause cancer. Hence, the method to detect cancer may also be producing it.

There is interest in using low dose (radiation) CT scan, if you can find a center that is engaging in the trial to establish the correct screening frequency, then you could go and have yourself enrolled.
Dr. Heinrik,

I turns out i was able to find a prior chest xray from about 3 years ago.  A pulmonologist reviewed both films(5/2005 & 5/2008) said said that the  "prominent bronchial markings" are present on both films and that he did not see any noticeable change.  He also said the current chest x-ray appeared normal to him and that no follow up was necessary.

Given that there has been no change with respect to the markings, is it safe to assume that there is nothing serious to worry about(specifically lung cancer)?

thank you so much,

Andrew
Sir i m amit
and i had taken my chest x ray cause i have chest pain from last 8  months and i had a habit of smoking but i left it before 6 months ago the x ray report say both lung fields show prominent bronchovascular marking .
wt does that means ? does it means T.B?
i havent feel fever or i dont have cough. and no other symptoms are seen in me so pls sir kindly reply me wt does this x ray mean? Do i have some serious problem? i have little back pain too. my primary doctor said that it is just because of caugh in ur chest. i need ur help pls reply
I recently had my x-ray and the result was PROMINENT BRONVASCULAR MARKING. r/o BRONCHITIS
my doctor said that its normal just drink antiobic. but im still worried because i always fell back pain i think its in the bone??
is the result of my x-ray serious???
is the result of my x-ray serious???
I had an xray because over the last 12months my breathing is becoming more and more difficult.   It says the heart size is within normal limits. Cardiomediastinal contours are unremarkable.  No focal collapse or consolidation is demonstrated.  There is mild coarsening of bronchovascular markings, non-specific.  There is no evidence of a pleural effusion or pneumothorax.  what does this means. I am worried because I have server back pain between the shoulder blades and it wakes me regularly during the night.  I am now finding that my bladder is full all the time and feels uncomfortable. a little pain when peeing. I have a slight dry, whooping cough. I am worried.  My father comes from a family of 12 children.  All have passed away with cancer.
i also had a chest xray showing prominent bronchi markings....i am having cough since past week and during cough i am not able to breathe and hv nausea....plz tell if something is serious or does the prominent bronchi markings show signs of lung cancer ????
I went for an 2nd Xray after pnemonia(which was 3 months ago) and the results were this -
- the heart and mediasinum are within normal limits
- no destruction lesions
- no interval change in the prominent bronchovascular markings within both lower lobes. I presume patient is no longer has infectious symptoms and give the lack of interval change CT scan is recommended.
I still feel like im still recovering from the pneumonia with a bit of sensitivity in the lungs and have a bit of post nasal drip. im an ex smoker.
what does this all mean? is this cancer?