Severe rib pain after lobectomy/thoracotomy
I had an upper left lobectomy for very small lung adenocarcinoma (no chemo/radiation) 14 months ago. ribs under breasts are constantly swollen and painful (look 9 months pregnant). PM doc gave 6 day course of prednisone for "costochondritis". Orthopedic surgeon said rest and take NSAID's (can't due to stomach/liver problems)
Taking Meloxicam 3x a day and Percocet to sleep. can only lay in one position for 14 months. It is REALLY painful!
No doc seems to have a real "cure" or even something remotely helpful. don't want to take steroids (lyrica, Cymbalta) and gain EVEN more weight or get hooked on pain meds.
What kind of doctor do I go to next ??? have been to a dozen.
I weight 190 and don't want more weight from steroids.
my ribcage feels so compressed at times it's hard to breathe, ct's mri's xray's show nothing.
only 50 and can't live like this...
any help would be so appreciated
How are you? Were you able to have this checked by your surgeon? If the rib pain persists, you may need to have this checked for proper evaluation. Additional diagnostic tests may be indicated. Also, if the present medications are not working, inform your doctor for proper management. You can also try complementary and alternative medicine such as biofeedback or acupuncture for pain relief.  Take care and do keep us posted.
I am 11 weeks post op from a lobectomy I can't tell you how bad my rib pain is No Dr seem to be able to tell me why very frustrated So I know how you are feeling.  I don't know what my next step will be the pain and heaviness get so bad it's hard to breath
Good luck with yours
Vicki