Lung Cancer Community
Small Cell Lung Cancer Extensive - Chemo Question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

Please advise if fourth line chemo for Small Cell Extensive is generally effective. Thanks.
Well, just got back from the oncologist's office. The tumors are larger - the one in the liver slightly larger, one on the adrenal glands doubled in size. Don't know about any of the other tumors since it was a CAT, not a PET Scan. So it appears that this third line was as ineffective as the second line. Now my husband will start fourth line next week, Carboplatin/Taxol. Don't know anything about this combo but will look it up later.

I don't know what to think or feel. Should I be upset because the tumors are bigger, or optimistic because there is another chemo drug to use? This doctor has given my husband the impression he is going to live forever and although I know he is giving him hope, guess I'm just a realist and am the type of person to just face facts and deal with them.

Has anyone been on Carbo/Taxol? What can you tell me about it?

Again, I thank everyone for taking the time to respond to my posts. You answers are greatly appreciated.
Hi there!

Prognosis with metastatic small cell carcinoma is not good and life expectance after treatment is around 6-12 months while it is still less without treatment. I would suggest discussing the management plan and the expected prognosis in detail with his treating pulmonologist/ oncologist.

Take care!
Good Morning!

I just found your question & Dr Kaul's reply.  How is your husband doing?  How are YOU doing?

I have a friend that was diagnosed with SCLC recently.  She has completed her first round of chemo treatments 2-weeks ago.  She is beginning to lose her hair.  

I was wondering if you would mind if I "friend" you and we could talk on MH occasionally?  This is my first "day to day" experience with someone diagnosed with this disease.  

Perhaps we could be a support for one another & ultimately weather this experience a bit better.  What do you think?

kindest regards,

elliot777