Stage 3A Lung Cancer
Just wondering what we can expect.  My 77 year old mother is about to start radiation and chemo for stage 3A lung cancer (non-small cell carcinoma).  It will be 6-8 weeks of radiation and chemo once a week only because of her COPD.  Can anyone comment on what we can expect in the way of side effects, etc.  And honestly if you think this will actually prolong her life?  They opted to not do surgery because they didn't want to put her under, again because of the COPD.  She is currently not on O2.  Need advise - please be straight up; don't sugar coat...  need to have some input from people that are actually going through it.  Thank you!
Hi, I just wanted to tell you my husband was also diagnosed with stage 3a lung cancer. After chemo and radiotheraphy he was told he was in remission. He is 70 years old and has been in remission for 3 years, great news considering he also has COPD, Neuropathy, kidney problems, liver problems and small heart problems!. He is doing well and keeps going with a positive attitude.  Not everyone with 3a lung cancer die! he is living proof. Good luck to you and your family.
Shyla
What your Mom is about to start, my Mom just finished. She is getting ready to start another round of higher dose chemo at the end of this month. The doctors said she did really well handling the radiation and chemo, but she was raw under her breast from the radiation, she was nausious from the chemo, weak, tired, and coughing and breathing so bad they put her on oxygen. The week after the last treatment she was in so much pain. Now she has pneumonia.
The effects seem to be so different for everyone though. We are definitely trying to remain positive. It has been rough though. I hope your Mom does better.