Lung Cancer Community
Stage 4 adenocarcinma with mets

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

Stage 4 adenocarcinma with mets

My mom has stage 4 adenocarcinoma with metastasis to her bones, brain and lymph nodes, and now has congestive heart failure. She has fluid seeping from her legs, ears, on oxygen full time, etc. She just finished whole brain radiation and is due to start chemo this week. They were saying chemo would add a month at most to her life, but the nurse has since told me it will do nothing to add to her quantity or quality....but my mom wants to try it. Last week, she really thought she was going to die. She was feeling a bit better, getting around on her walker...but now the oncologist cut her back down to one steroid a day. He said the swelling on her legs and feet is too bad, but it makes the brain swelling worse. This is the second time this has happened. When they do this, she gets headaches, swelling in her face, etc. At this point, what do you forsee as her prognosis? I have already taken a leave of absence and have been taking care of her alongside my sister and father. I came home today (3 hours away) to take care of obligations at home, but will be headed back day after tomorrow. I am so scared I literally only have days with her. My son is coming to visit at the end of the month...but I dont know if she will be here. She is showing signs of confusion, sometimes saying mean things (I know it is the cancer but it is hard).....I just dont know what else i can do.
Tags: stage 4 adenocarcenoma, Congestive Heart Failure, bone mets, brain mets
Hi there!

Well, prognosis at this stage is expected to be very poor and management is largely palliative and symptomatic. The chemotherapy would help little to the quality and expectancy while no gross change is expected with either. However if she would like to go ahead with the chemo, I would suggest going ahead with it.

Take care!