Lung Cancer Community
Wedge resection.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

Wedge resection.

Please, can someone tell me a bit more about wedge resection? I have an area in my upper right lobe which shows 'warm' to one side of it on a PET scan, and the needle biopsy I had before that was unsuccessful as no tissue was gathered.
I am very nervous of this peocedure, but realise that it could be a life saver for me and I would like to be prepared for my appointment with a Surgeon on 28th.

Thank you,
Peggy.
I've had two wedge resections also on the right upper lobe. To make a long story short they go in and resect the lesion. Via bronchoscopy and video assisted mini thoracotomy.This resection goes to pathology for evaluation and staging. I had a couple of  tubes in my side (via the lung area) one was for drainage and the other was reinflating my lung when I awoke form the surgery. Make sure the surgeon has performed many of these surgeries before you chose one. Also make sure you are heavily medicated after the surgery (this is important to be on top of the pain don't wait to be totally uncomfortable to speak up). The next day they'll get you up walking and you will start to feel better each day. I was discharged four days later and sent home with percs every 4 hrs. Good luck I'm here if you need to talk.  
Thank you so much for replying! I was in such a state before my last follow up appointment, but knowing that it's confined to one area made me feel a lot better. Now the next appointment looms, I am getting nervy again. I hope no-one ever has to experience the anxiety that I suffered with all this.
I have read a few scary things about the wedge resection, but it's really helpful to hear from someone who has experienced it first hand. I won't be able to choose a Surgeon, but I've had outstanding treatment so far.
I did have a collapsed lung with my biopsy, and that was sheer hell as they had to put in a drain. Hopefully this would be done whilst under anaesthetic?
I was wondering though...how do they get a chunk of lung through a tiny space between two ribs? I'm not shy to ask for painkillers either, after having peritonitis just a few years ago.
Did you have two separate operations and where did they go in?
Sorry for all the questions! I would much ratger be prepared than have any awful shocks.
Regards,
Pegs.
Yes two surgeries. Tey cut me just below the arm pit to an angle to be able to get to where my lesions were. I would imagine every one is different, but around the same area. Every thing is done under anestheia, you will not feel anything till you wake up.
regarding anxiety ask for ativan, My PC/Nurse Pract. put me on automatically before any procedures.

I'm also full of anxiety READ my post to get to know me better I also have some additional findings recently. I'll add you as a friend and add to watch.

My prayers are with you
P.S.   They enlarged one incision and made another, they know exactly, mine was the seventh interspace anterior anthe forthinterspace mid axillary. this was required to fully mobilize the right upper lobe.  Read profile orig story.
Thanks again for sharing. I have read your post...you are incredibly brave. I hope you hear from your Specialist really soon so you can get your treament asap.
Thanks also for the advice on anxiety....I have also found a site called nomorepanic which deals specifically with this. They are amazing support, and this site is great too as I also need the facts regarding the physical side of things.
Please keep in touch!

Pegs.