What is the newer treatments for lung cancer?
My father is 76 years old and was recently diagnosed with a fairly large mass in his lower rt lobe of his lung.  The radiological findings states  its about the size of a fist or rubic's cube.   Several lymph nodes are enlarged and notes on the size and placement.  Patient is had paralized left side of vocal cords for 6 weeks.  ENT suggested the root of the nerve from the vocal cord was the cause...meaning the Left side of the lungs something is causing the chronic laryngitis.

WE will be getting a biopsy this week.  I was curious about different treatment options. What are the newer treatments for cancer?  Is there success with radiation or chemo?  The reason I ask my mom was diagnosed lung cancer stage 4, and received chemo and radiation and it just zapped her life ...the quality of life was poor after treatment.  So I was told that was 7 yrs ago and better treatment options are available.  Do you have that information or links on options of treatments.

Just to give you some history, my dad smoked 39 years 2-3 packs a day. He quit 20 years ago.  

I know what to expect, seven years ago my mom died of lung cancer and it went very fast...7 months.
She smoked 2 packs a day and quit 15 years before her diagnoses.
2) question what is my risks for getting lung cancer?  I am 43 never smoked or drink.  Exposed to second hand smoke for 20 early years at home