Lung Cancer Community
What is the newer treatments for lung cancer?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

My father is 76 years old and was recently diagnosed with a fairly large mass in his lower rt lobe of his lung.  The radiological findings states  its about the size of a fist or rubic's cube.   Several lymph nodes are enlarged and notes on the size and placement.  Patient is had paralized left side of vocal cords for 6 weeks.  ENT suggested the root of the nerve from the vocal cord was the cause...meaning the Left side of the lungs something is causing the chronic laryngitis.

WE will be getting a biopsy this week.  I was curious about different treatment options. What are the newer treatments for cancer?  Is there success with radiation or chemo?  The reason I ask my mom was diagnosed lung cancer stage 4, and received chemo and radiation and it just zapped her life ...the quality of life was poor after treatment.  So I was told that was 7 yrs ago and better treatment options are available.  Do you have that information or links on options of treatments.

Just to give you some history, my dad smoked 39 years 2-3 packs a day. He quit 20 years ago.  

I know what to expect, seven years ago my mom died of lung cancer and it went very fast...7 months.
She smoked 2 packs a day and quit 15 years before her diagnoses.
2) question what is my risks for getting lung cancer?  I am 43 never smoked or drink.  Exposed to second hand smoke for 20 early years at home