Lung Cancer Community
Worried

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

Worried

Im a male 32 years old necame a heavy smoker in last few years. About a year ago was diagnosed w upper res infection. Was given antibiotics and he cleared up to a degree but it is never cleared up after this day I have to clear my lungs constantly when I get everything out seconds later it starts to build back I spoke with my doctor he said that it's because I'm smoker and if I quit smoking it will go away.  I have an appointment w pulmonary doctor next week I do have a little pain in my chest and I constantly have congestion in my nose aa well this is been going on for quite some time. I have strong lungs can hold breath for almost 2 min. Headaches often. I am on suboxone for a substance abuse problem a few years ago. Vicodin. I'm clean but I am very scared. Had a chest X-ray 1 1/2 ago clear and Pulmonary doc said I could do what ever for next 20 years but I would get Emphysema so quit smoke soon! I'm working on it! I'm am soooo scared u know when somthing feels off. I wanna live. I'm married and a father and working on number two. Please any help advice would be great. Thank you soooo much. Always weezing?  Clearing chest! I
About a pack a day but I'm quoting within the next month 100%.  God bless thanks so much
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Were you able to see your pulmonary doctor? Smoker’s cough or persistent cough that develops in long-term smokers may indeed be present. This may be dry or productive with phlegm; usually worst upon awakening, and improves over the remainder of the day. Treatment of this condition is through smoking cessation. The other symptoms that you mentioned may be medication side effects also while the nasal congestion may be caused by allergies. If these persist, further evaluation and additional diagnostic tests may need to be done. I commend your establishing these goals of quitting and wishing to have a healthier life. Take care and hope all is well. Do keep us posted and best regards.