Lung Cancer Expert Forum
X-rays show something on my chest

Welcome to the International Lung Cancer forum. Questions related to lung cancer will be answered by a medical doctor.

X-rays show something on my chest

I had a chest x-ray a few days ago the nurse just called and said it showed something and the doctor wants me to start an antibiotic today and see her in two weeks.  Thats all I was told.  I have had a chronic cough for years which I was told was hyper active airway diease.  The cough has gotten worse over the past year and I have been suffering from fatique, low vit B, D, and Iron for the first time in my life. I am not feeling comfortable just taking anitbiotic and repeating the x-ray.  Should we be doing something more aggressive seeing the long history of chroinc cough? Thanks this is worrying me.....
Avatar_dr_f_tn
From your description, my guess is that your doctor probably saw an abnormal shadow on your x-ray which was difficult to characterize. Since you have chronic cough, lung infection may have been considered as a likely possibility. Perhaps this is the reason they have asked you to take a course of antibiotics. Another x-ray about two weeks later will be useful to see if the lesions have responded to therapy. If not, possibilities other than infection need to be considered. Sometimes infection may mask another pathology in the lung and this would become apparent once the infection subsides.

It would probably be a good idea to discuss the x-ray findings and possibilities with your doctor so that your concerns can be addressed. Meanwhile, you need to stay positive and wait for the reports rather that worry about the possibilities.

All the best and God bless!
Thank you for the response, I appreciate your time. The new x-rays looked better but still show a shadow so we are doing a CT scan.  Should I ask for a PET Scan?  When should I be referred to a Pulmunary Specialist?  Thank you
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Its good to know the new X-rays look better. You may consult a Pulmonary specialist once you have the CT scan results. The need for a PET scan can also be determined after the CT scan results.
All the best!