Lung Cancer Community
Xray/ ct scan exposure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

Xray/ ct scan exposure

Dear Doctors

Hi.. Please help me. im so worried if i  exposed to much to a  radiation.
I had 2 chest x-ray for the month of jun 2008 another 2 chest x-ray and 2 chest ct scan for the month of july08  and 1  chest x-ray this month sept .I have a schedule for another ct scan this coming november.

total of  5 xray ( jun to sep) and 2 ct scan ( jul)

Im so worried that i expose to a radiation toooo much. and i have a schedule for another ct scan this coming nov.
is this realllly bad coz im so afraid the risk having a breast cancer after 10yrs. what is the maximum radiation the body can take?
I understand your anxieties, and it would be good if there were some strategies which would have a lower risk for producing the disease than their capability for making an earlier diagnosis.
There is no clear answer, some patients who have curative treatment may be required to have CT scans twice a year or so. There is some justification to this, as finding the disease again would trigger treatment interventions which may still offer cure.
What is the reason for the serial testing? Ultimately it becomes a balance between the baseline risk for getting the disease, against the risks of the imaging tool causing the cancer it was supposed to merely detect. There are also attempts to lower the dose of radiation delivered. Discuss your options with your doctor. Stay positive.  

follow up questions /There finding was- in right superior mediastinal lymphadenopathy, i under go fine needle biopsy and  the result was " The appearnce is suggestive of a granulomatous inflamation (inflammation) with atypical cells, possible of epithelial origin.""and the droctor explain to me that its not a cancer and  after 2months waiting for TB culture- its negative also.but doctor want me to undergo mediastinoscopy to check if its lympoma.. im so confuse when he said that.. Coz i thought the finding of FNB was -negative for cancer. he explain to me what he mean was .."NOT A LUNG CANCER" and he said Fine needle biopsy cannot detect  lympoma at all. Is that True doctor that FNB cant detect lymphoma? what do you think the result of FNB? im sooo confuse. I cant believe that he advised me to undergo FNB which cant dectect lymphoma (if its true).

I had a chest xray 2weeks ago and its getting smaller..  thats why my doctor want me to have a CT scan this november to check the progess.. but im so scared... and if ever.. i dont want to undergo "mediastinoscopy" im scared soo scared...