Lung Cancer Community
blood in the lungs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

blood in the lungs

two weeks ago i began coughing up blood. this continued for a few hours. i went to the hospital and they took my blood pressure which is normally low and it was 197 over 120. they gave me a catscan and told me there was too much blood to see where it was coming from and i have to have another in six weeks. they put a camera into my lungs and i was told they washed my lungs but when they washed the blood away it just came back. they kept me in the hospital over night and then sent me home. i am very scared about this and would like to know what the cause may be

Blood from the lungs may arise from several causes. While malignancy is among the considerations, other causes would include infections like tuberculosis. Injuries to the chest may also cause bleeding. Paradoxically, occlusions of some veins may also produce some bleeding.

If the blood is persistent and the amount is significant, the first 2 considerations (being cancer or tuberculosis) would be on the top of the list, especially in the absence of any trauma.

Is there any bleeding anywhere else? Check if there are bruises on your body, bleeding when you void urine or brush your teeth. It may be normal to have a dark stool, as you may also be swallowing blood. Are you taking any medications that may cause bleeding?
Some medications taken for pain and for heart disease may predispose to bleeding. If there is bleeding elsewhere, an investigation into the components of the blood that are responsible for controlling bleeding would be in order.

Discuss the results of the CT scan again. The CT takes cross sections (my best description of this would be the slices a magician makes when cutting a woman in half), so unless the lung is collapsed by the volume of blood, the amount of blood would not really obscure the lung. It should still be able to see if there is a mass. Occasionally, the lung responds to cancer or infection with abnormal scarring. These patterns tend to be disorganized and would make finding a discrete mass difficult if not impossible.