Lung Cancer Community
could this be lung cancer at 27 yrs old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

could this be lung cancer at 27 yrs old

I have been suffering for burning chest and pain and upper back pain also feels like my lungs are burning for around a yr the 1st time doc said pleurisy and 2nd time he said i had hurt my back muscles. i do smoke around 15 -20 cigarettes ad day for around 11 years, the pain generally gets worse the further the day goes on i/e the more i smoke. bad i know (no lectures please) i have no other symptoms of cancer maybe slight fatigue but i have a job and a toddler nothing extreme and i have gained around 14 lbs in the last 8 -9 months. i have no regular ongoing cough or anything i do have night sweats but i am also taking sertraline daily for anxiety which i believe the sweats are linked to.
I am terrified of lung cancer and i know it's commonly diagnosed later in life but i have read of a few younger cases. I am intending seeing my doc again, but i am worried sick of cancer until then. i had bloods done for tiredness around 3 months ago and thyroid levels and blood count ect were all normal also had a fbc. which were all fine.
anyone please help what are my chances, please no scare stories!!!
i am female and 27 years old
many thanks
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. The etiology and incidence of lung cancer is strongly correlated with tobacco use and pack years in specific. You have smoked for roughly 11 pack years and that puts you at moderate risk of cancer. Other factors are familial predisposition, preexisting lung disease, in your case pleurisy and exposure to asbestos if relevant. in one fourth of people getting lung cancer, it is discovered on routine xray chest or CT as a solitary mass and may be asymptomatic. Symptoms related to cancer are cough, shortness of breath, chest pain, wheezing, hemoptysis or blood coughing out. Easy fatiguability, weight loss and night sweats are also present.
It may lead to shoulder pain if nerves are invaded or hoarseness if vocal cords are paralysed. There are other symptoms related to distant metastasis and due to hormone like substance production by tumor cells. You need to get a chest xray/ CT scan chest done immediately to understand symptoms better and rule out carcinoma. It could be a lung and associated pleural infection. You are wise yourself and I need not advise you on smoking abstenance. Take care and all the best.