lung calcifications
Can small calcifications in the lungs be a precursor to lung cancer or even be lung cancer) in a very heavy smoker? (4 packs a day) The CT is going to be repeated in 6 months to see if any of the calcifications are big enough to biopsy, right now they are too small to biopsy. This involves a member of my family who I am very worried about. There has been quite a dramatic weight loss as well as a bad cough. The lung specialist says nothing to worry about at this time....
Can someone please give me some information or advice? Thanks.
I am not a Dr. I am a college student studying to become a Dr. Weight Loss is not a definitive diagnosis of anything, could be related or could be completely unrelated. 4 packs a day is very bad and they need to cut down anyway! Nicotine can be an appetite suppressant so that could be the cause of his or her weightloss. Stress can also trigger the OCD of chain smoking (the OCD needs to be treated by a qualified Mental Health Professional as well as being put on medication to treat the condition). Calcifications could be a sign that the lung healed from previous damage. Tiny calcifications happen and are not normally life threatening. The bad cough needs to be treated ASAP, possible infection. My advice seek a MH professional and a an MD.

Hope this helps