Lung Cancer Community
lung nodule

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

lung nodule

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site so I hope I'm in the right place.  I had a ct scan done last week due to an abnormal chest x ray and the finding were:  6cm nodule on left lung, 7cm nodule on right lung and lesions on both lungs.  I did have a severe asthma attack which I haven't had for 27 years.  I'm 48 years old today and otherwise seem to be in good health????  my doctor wants me to get another chest x-ray in 4 weeks to see if the lesions are healing.  does this sound right?  and could someone please explain to me what nodules and lesions are and what causes them?  I did smoke for 30 years and had just quit 2 months ago.  perfect timing huh?  anyway, if someone could please let me know some information, i would greatly appreciate it.

You most likely had a lung infection. The plan to repeat the Chest X-ray in a month would help evaluate if the  nodules found are a reaction to the infection only – in which they would have disappeared or would have gotten much smaller.

If the nodules are persistent, then more tests would likely be performed and among them may be invasive ones such as a biopsy.  

Discuss the possibility of a CT scan which could help evaluate the nodule size and  location better.

I understand that the waiting time may seem needlessly stressful, but performing invasive testing now, may simply risk sampling areas that are only healing from a recent pneumonia.
I am a 47 y/o female with a family history of lung cancer and breast cancer. My dad passed away from lung cancer and my sister ( @ 47 y/o) passed from breast cancer. I smoke one pack a day and been doing so for about 22 years.
The following are several results that I've gotten regarding my lungs. Please let me know what you think of it.

Should I be more aggresive (aggressive) towards this?

Chest (9/13/07) The lung fields show no infiltrate, effusion or mass. There is minimal atelectasis- fibroric scarring present at  both lung bases posteriorly and inferiorly. The pulmonary vasculature is adequately visualized and is normal. The aorta demonstrates no evidence of dissection. There are minimal degenerative change involving the dorsal spine. the heart is not enlarged. There is no mediastinal or hilar adenopathy. CONCLUSION: Minimal fibrotic changes are present in both lung bases posteriorly. There are no pulmonary emboli or aortic dissection. The remainder of the study is also normal.

However, on a CAT scan done for something else (breast/axillary lymph node) on 3/13/08 showed a 4mm nodule in the posterior left lung. What could cause this? I wasn't/haven't been sick with a cold, flu, bronchitis, etc.

Then a PET scan that I did on 3/20 stated that the nodule is stoo small to be characterized. I have a follow-up PET scan in 3 months.

Except for your smoking history, there is no clear indication to perform a biopsy or an outright excision for a lesion this small with a negative PET. Hence, the recommendation to do interval monitoring was given to you. The nodule may have been there for years, so it may not be possible to link a specific condition with its development.
Are there other features like shape, calcification?
The most aggressive thing you could probably do right now is to quit smoking. Please take steps to do so.  
Thank you so much for your prompt reply. Unfortunately, I don't know anything else regarding this nodule. The PET scan indicated the lung nodule was too small to be characterized. I, in fact, asked the doctor the same questions and he told me that the nodule was too small to determine anything. I will stay  in touch to let you know the result of other PET scan in June.

I know, I do need to finally stop smoking. That is something I am working towards right now. Once again, THANK YOU for your prompt reply. I finally found a place where I can literally get my questions answered to!

I am a 69 year old female.  On my annual physical examination, my doctor ordered a chest x-ray and blood work as part of my physical.  Chest x-ray results showed:  "There is indeterminate 2.4 x 1.6 cm nodular retrocardiac opacity.  A CT scan of the chest is recommended in the absence of prior examinations documenting stability.  No consolidation, atelectasis, or pleural effusion is seen.  The heart size is normal without evidence of congestive heart failure.  The mediastinum is midline.  Thoracic disk degeneration is noted.  Atherosclerotic calcifications are noted in the thoracic aorta".  IMPRESSION:  Indeterminate retrocardiac opacity.  Recommendation:  CT scan of the chest (complete).  I have not had a chest x-ray for many years and have nothing to compare this x-ray to.  How concerned should I be?  And, just having the chest x-ray one week ago, how soon should I have the CT scan?  I am a non-smoker.