Lung Cancer Community
lung scarring both sides

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

lung scarring both sides

My 37 y.o. husband went to the dr today for a routine blood test to check on his diabetes.  He mentioned that he is a smoker and the dr did an x-ray.  It showed scarring throughout both lungs.  The dr also said he has a viral URI.  She said she wants to send the x-ray to a radiologist then get back to my husband.  

My husband remembered that 2-3 years ago he did very poorly on a respiratory test (air flow) and the dr said his lungs were weak and he needed to exercise more.  i don't think a chest x-ray was done at that time.

How worried should I be?  The doc said it will be several days until we hear more.  Can this be minor?  Or because it was in both sides (I didn't see it so I don't know details) and he has other symptoms, is it serious?  He does have a chronic dry cough and allergies.  His CBC was normal.

I know no one can give a diagnosis online, but I'd love to hear thoughts on what may be going on and how aggressively we should push for additional tests (and if so, which ones)?
You need to wait for a report of the chest xray. If there is a lesion a CT scan would be helpful. Also get a repeat lung function test and compare it with the previous one to see how much it has changed. Also the most important thing would be to convince your husband to stop smoking right away. Even if the lesions are not significant, smoking can eventually lead to lung diseases including obstructive airway disease or even lung cancer. This is not to scare you but to convince you that your husband needs to stop smoking. If you cannot convince him discuss with your physician the option of enrolling him with a anti-smoking clinic. Goodluck.