Lung Cancer Community
mild bilateral hilar and mediastinal adenopathy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

A year ago I was given a chest scan and they discovered mild bilaterial and mediastinal adenopathy.  The hospital radiologist suggested a PET Scan.  My insurance wouldn't pay, therefore my GP suggested that we followup in six months with another chest scan.  That scan showed no changes.  Again, now, at one year, the recent scan again showed no changed.  

My question is: Should I be concerned about this diagnosis?  Should I be having more testing?  My GP has not explained exactly what the condition is.  I seem to have trouble taking deep breaths, although this has been this way for some years now.  

I am also seen at the Mayo Clinic to follow my Primary Biliary Cirrhosis.  Could this, in any way, be related to that?
I also plan to bring this up to my doctor at Mayo to see what she thinks.  Any suggestions?
Hi!
I have been having chronic chest pain for about 5 years.  In November, I finally had a Chest CT scan with contrast and found mild mediastinal adenopathy as well.  I was referred to a pulmonologist and had a repeat CT in January.  That scan was stable...no changes.  So, last week I had a biopsy done via bronchoscopy to see what was causing the inflammation.  It turned out to be sarcoidosis.  Thank goodness it wasn't cancer.  Be sure to ask your GP if a referral to a specialist is in order so you can get some answers as to why your lymph nodes are swollen!

Good luck to you!