Lung Cancer Community
nodule - needle biopsy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

nodule - needle biopsy

I had a 7 mm nodule in 2009 which became an 11 mm nodule in 2011 - doctors wants to do a needle biopsy.  can anyone give me some information on it.  I am beside myself with worry.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Well, the doctors are right in going for a biopsy. If a lung nodule increases in size or undergoes change in density, appearance of nodules, calcification, a biopsy is needed. There is a 50-50 chance of lung cancer, so this is an important step to eliminate that. Also, the possibility of nodules becoming cancerous increases with history of smoking/current smoking/previous history of cancer/family history of cancer.
Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!
Hello! thank you for your reply.  I had the needle biopsy (2 needle biopsies of the 11 mm nodule) done in September 2011. It turned out to be benign for malignancy.  My lung collapsed - had a tube in for 6 days but I am doing well now.  Thanks for your advise.  They still want to keep an eye on the nodule even though the biopsy did not show cancer.

Thank you, Julie