Lung Cancer Community
pleural based nodule

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

pleural based nodule

I was diagnosed 2 years ago with a pleural based nodule.  at the time of the diagnosis I had two CT's and one pet scan.  all three were negative for any metastasis.  It was followed up 6 months later with no change.  Now they want me to go for further testing.  Bloods are all negative and one doctor feels it is not necessary to expose that much radiation and one wants another set of tests.
what is your opinion.  It measures 3cm with no changes.
thank you
The important thing is to establish the stability of the nodule. A duration of 6 months may be premature to say it isn't likely malignant. An old dictum used 2 years as the benchmark, but this may only predict 60-70% of benign lesions.  Some monitoring schemes involve monitoring intervals of 3 months for a year, then every 6 months during the next year.  I think a 6 month duration would be fine for now, then perhaps once a year or every 2 years. You could discuss the option of low dose CT scan to lower the risks inherent with the scans. Keep a regular check-up as well and bear in mind that the plans would change if you develop any symptoms that may pertinent to the nodule.
The nodule was in the apex of the right chest wall outside the lung.  I am totally asymptomatic.  Other than malignancies what is the root cause of a nodule?
Any input would be helpful