Lung Cancer Community
pneumothorax

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

pneumothorax

I remember it well The day after Christmas 2008. I was going to go upstairs to bed. I felt something go in my chest.Then I couldn,t breathe. and then my heart did wierd things in my chest. Turns out it was a sponteneous pneumothorax of my right lung. I was brought to the hospital. They cut my chest through the rib cage and inserted a tube hooked to a plastic "cabinet" that kept the lung inflated. I laid in the hospital like this for 2  weeks. The hole healed and then tore healed then tore once again. They finally told me I needed surgery to remove a piece of the right lung(upper lobe). Surgery came and went. 2 days in ICU and then 3 days in a regular room. Success. I remember when they took the tube out of my chest. I was on morphine (patient controlled) there were 2 nurses at me feet to hold them down and 1 nurse and 1 dr. to hold me and pull the tube. The pain was so bad I literally cried. 2 days later I was home. Its been a long process but I play coed softball, play outside with the kids  etc. The reason I am writing this this because the Lord and the doctors gave me a second chance. DID I MENTION I WAS A SMOKER? DID I MENTION I QUIT 5 MONTHS BEFORE THIS HAPPENED?   Dont smoke. Please avoid the hurting for you and all the hurting your family goes thru. please quit today

This discussion is related to Blebs in the Lung.
Our granddaughter, who has never smoked, was hospitalized with "blebs" last year which resulted in a collapsed lung and surgery.  What causes them in young (under 30) non-smokers?