Lung Cancer Community
pulmonary nodule

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

pulmonary nodule

I just had a CT scan done due to the fact a spot was found on my left lung.  I am 38, female, smoker.  They CT results came back as:  Well circumscribed nodule in the left upper chest of 1.8 cm in diameter corresponding to the findings on chest x-ray.  This area has an internal calcification and may represent a large non-calcified granuloma but a pulmonary nodule associated with a carcinoma of the lung cannot be completely ruled out.  Recommend a PET CT examination for evaluation of the lesion in the left upper lchest for malignancy.  I have an appointment with a specialst Monday at UAMS.  I don't know what to think ????

There specialist will look at all features of the nodule, and then discuss a plan.
The plan may consist of serial CT scans every 3 months or so, and if there is a documented increase or change in the appearance - a biopsy would be recommended.
The plan may also mean a biopsy outright - how this would be carried out would depend on the location of the nodule, whether it is nearer the chest wall or nearer the airways.
The PET scan is not yet standard, but it does provide some information about the behavior (how metabolically active the nodule is, with cancers being in general more active), however, there are overlaps between lung cancers and granuloma - so if anything - the PET may not contribute towards investigating if the nodule is malignant or not - but may be helpful in looking at lymph node involvement, specifically at lymph nodes that are known to be related with the area where the nodule is.