Lung Cancer Expert Forum
swelling over sternum

Welcome to the International Lung Cancer forum. Questions related to lung cancer will be answered by a medical doctor.

swelling over sternum
hi,

not sure about the right forum but here goes: i'm 58 and had a mammogram a few days ago which was the most painful and rough one i've ever experienced. results were negative for anything, thank god. a few days later i went to my regular doc and he noticed swelling directly over sternum smack dab in middle of chest, felt it, and it didn't really hurt. he said to get an x-ray. i'm terrified of course now, thinking a million things. i should mention that i do have neck and back disc problems, costochondritis too, but my ribs weren't bothering me when i had mammo. do you think this could just be swollen muscle due to the rigorous pulling the tech did? i know i'm grasping for staws, lol but i'm kinda worried. getting the x-ray in a couple of days. any input is appreciated, thanks!
Given your background of joint problems and costochondritis, I really would not worry too much about this asymtomatic sternal swelling.
Please do not be stressed about the x-ray. Discuss with your doctor once the report is available.
All the best, and God Bless!