Lung Cancer Community
to all doctors/ Dr heinrikMD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

to all doctors/ Dr heinrikMD

follow up questions /There finding was- in right superior mediastinal lymphadenopathy, i under go fine needle biopsy and  the result was " The appearnce is suggestive of a granulomatous inflamation (inflammation) with atypical cells, possible of epithelial origin.""and the droctor explain to me that its not a cancer and  after 2months waiting for TB culture- its negative also.but doctor want me to undergo mediastinoscopy to check if its lympoma.. im so confuse when he said that.. Coz i thought the finding of FNB was -negative for cancer. he explain to me what he mean was .."NOT A LUNG CANCER" and he said Fine needle biopsy cannot detect  lympoma at all. Is that True doctor that FNB cant detect lymphoma? what do you think the result of FNB? im sooo confuse. I cant believe that he advised me to undergo FNB which cant dectect lymphoma (if its true).

I had a chest xray 2weeks ago and its getting smaller..  thats why my doctor want me to have a CT scan this november to check the progess.. but im so scared... and if ever.. i dont want to undergo "mediastinoscopy" im scared soo scared...

I understand the frustration of undergoing an examination and getting results that are not definitive.
The biopsy has something called a diagnostic yield. In general, if you can get more tissue, then the chances of getting a diagnosis is higher. Hence, a fine needle biopsy, MAY be able to find lymphoma. So it can say that IT IS LYMPHOMA but the small amount of tissue may not be able to classify what kind of lymphoma. However, since the diagnostic yield is small, if the finding is negative and there is a strong suspicion that it may be lymphoma, the FNA cannot say IT IS NOT LYMPHOMA.
There are lymphomas that have a good chance at achieving cure, so stay positive and get the procedure done. The X-ray is not a good tool at measuring, it may be giving you some false reassurance, it may be better to get the CT now, if there are any changes then the plan for the mediastinoscopy may change.

Is mediastinoscopy safe and how long is recovery period?