Lung Cancer Expert Forum
treatment and recovery from lung/brain cancer

Welcome to the International Lung Cancer forum. Questions related to lung cancer will be answered by a medical doctor.

My mom, at 74, was diagnosed with lung cancer. 2 weeks later she fainted, hospitalized and CT showed spots in her brain (perhaps cancer as well). We are still waiting to find out if there is ANY chance these spots in her brain are not tumor - most likely they are :-(
extensive Chimo and radiation are what the doctors suggested. What are the chances of recovery from that? What are the dangers if we decide not to go with this treatment (which I understand will be extremely hard on her)? Any help/links/tips will be appreciated!!
Lung cancer with metastases to the brain has a guarded prognosis. Your oncologist will be aiming at reducing her symptoms and improving her quality of life.
In advanced lung cancer, chemotherapy has been shown to modestly increase duration of survival compared with supportive care alone. Palliative radiation to the brain will be helpful for her.
Some additional information can be found at http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/lung
All the best, be strong, and God Bless!
My sisters son aged 3 yrs and 4 months is affected by lung infection. he is suffering from fever for the last 3 months, his weight was reported to be 12 kgs from his 2.5 years. two weeks ago the infection was found, and he becomes critical now. his oxygen level is around 45 - 60, he is kept in ICU. yesterday the blood is replaced, but found little improvements then came back. the doctors says its impossible to do treatment further since he is a kids of 3.4 yrs. Dr. Kamal, please give your valuable comments on this, what to do next. will it be possible to recover him by taking him to some other hospital? Expecting your reply soon, thanks & regards
B. Meenakshi
Hi Meenakshi,
I am sorry to hear of your nephew's illness. The treatment of lung infection essentially consists of antibiotics (according to culture and sensitivity) and supportive care (oxygen, IV fluids, vasopressors, electrolyte management, mechanical ventilation, etc). Your nephew seems very seriously ill. Please continue to closely interact with his pediatrician, intensivist, and pulmonologist. Please discuss about the specific infection that he has developed, and if fungal and other uncommon sources have been ruled out.
All the best, and God Bless!
Dr Saini

My moms ct scan shows a 7.5cm x 7.5cm soft tissue mass involving the superior segment of the right lower lobe of her lung. suspicious for malignancy. No enlarged mediastinal, hilar or axillary lymphadenopathy is identified although no intravenous contrast. She also has emphysema. A biopsy is recommended. She is going to her winter home to have this done. I am so afraid she will get on the plane and I will never see her again. She has also lost 16lbs 100lbs to 84 since her dr. visit a year ago and has no appetite. She is 73 yrs old and a smoker. Could you please explain to me your thoughts about her survival chances. I would be forever grateful. Thank you, Magysmom
Older sister dx'd with lung cancer 3 yrs ago.  primary cancer believed to be ovarian even though biopsies negative.  undergone 2 rounds of chemo.  undergone Avastin which made her bleed and caused blood clots.  has 2 malignant tumors on head.  in a research trial in Phoenix.  lung lesions have stayed the same.  her CA-125 went from 300 to over 1,000.  does this mean cancer is growing elsewhere?  any prognosis even best guess at this point?  Thank you.
A related discussion, How do I get answers to my questions was started.
A related discussion, Slight Thickening of Right Lung was started.
A related discussion, ground glass lesion was started.
A related discussion, MULTINODULAR THYROID COLLOIDAL NODULE. was started.
A related discussion, lung densities was started.