Lung Disorders Expert Forum
Bronchoscopy Necessary?
About This Forum:

Welcome to the Lung Disorders Forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by doctors from the Lung Institute at Columbus Regional Hospital. This forum is for questions and support regarding Lung Disorders such as: Lung Cancer, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), Asthma, Emphysema, Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (PAH), Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF), Bronchiectasis, Antitrypsin Deficiency (Alpha-1) and the various treatment options available for each.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Bronchoscopy Necessary?

My mother is 83 and in good health.  At a routine check-up her doctor heard some chest rales and ordered a CT scan of her lungs.  The CT came back with small nodules/scars and some bronchiectasis.  She does not have any symptoms of infection and a TB test came back negative.  We went to a pulmonologist and he wanted to do a bronchoscopy.  We did not do it at that time and opted to repeat the CT 6 months later.  There was no change from the original CT and her lab work is generally all within normal ranges.  I think they are suspecting some type of bacterial infection (MAC, etc).

Her doctor is again recommending she have a bronchoscopy to get sputum culures, etc.  Are their other tests which could be performed before doing a bronchoscopy?  I am concerned about an invasive procedure for my 83  year old mom...if not absolutely necessary?