Lung Disorders Expert Forum
Lung Issue or only Asthma

Welcome to the Lung Disorders Forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by doctors from the Lung Institute at Columbus Regional Hospital. This forum is for questions and support regarding Lung Disorders such as: Lung Cancer, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), Asthma, Emphysema, Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (PAH), Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF), Bronchiectasis, Antitrypsin Deficiency (Alpha-1) and the various treatment options available for each.

Lung Issue or only Asthma
For the past 6 months in the middle of the night I have woken up coughing (choking like) to find my mouth full of clear like fluid (almost like spit).  When I get up and spit out the fluid I am fine.  I go back to bed with no issues.  This happens 2-3 times a month ..always in the middle of the night and I am always able to get back to bed.  I am fine during the day.  I have no other symptoms-I feel great.  I am 45, but when I was a kid I had bad asthma..Is my asthma back or could it be some type of lung issue.  

I am concerned since when I google my symptoms it seems as I am coughing up fluid from my lung ?  But why only twice a month ?  I suppose I am worrying too much and this is just a harmless cough..
I would see a physician and ask about gastric reflux disorders.  Sometimes, this can occur after eating close to bedtime.  (eating then lying down).  Food can come up the throat and make you cough.  It is possible that something could be triggering your asthma symptoms....carpet in bedroom, pets, dust bites etc...Either way I would be evaluated by your MD.