Lung Disorders Expert Forum
Pain on Right Side of Chest

Welcome to the Lung Disorders Forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by doctors from the Lung Institute at Columbus Regional Hospital. This forum is for questions and support regarding Lung Disorders such as: Lung Cancer, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), Asthma, Emphysema, Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (PAH), Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF), Bronchiectasis, Antitrypsin Deficiency (Alpha-1) and the various treatment options available for each.

Pain on Right Side of Chest

I've been experiencing chest pain for three days, located on the right side of my chest in the area just below my breastbone. It seems to be almost a cramp, where it feels like it gets very tight, almost as if someone is grabbing my lung. The pain began three days ago and was mild at first, but became very strong a few hours later. It persisted off and on all night, and then went away almost completely. I am now experiencing it periodically in a mild form, but sometimes will go hours without pain.

It just occurred to me that I feel this sharp pain at the end of a deep inhalation, so I am worried that it has something to do with my lung.

I am experiencing zero other symptoms... I'm breathing okay, no fever or fatigue, etc. I am 27 years old, female, non-smoker.

Since the pain has decreased significantly I am not sure whether or not I should pursue seeing a doctor. Is this serious or should I wait to see if symptoms persist before seeking medical attention?

I appreciate your insight! Thanks very much.
Any type of chest pain should be evaluated by a Doctor.  You should probably obtain an order for an EKG to ensure your heart is ok. You are young and very unusual to have chest pain at this age.  Lungs do not have pain receptors.  So, it could be muscle skeletal pain from a pulled muscle.  Thank you for your question and good luck.