Back problems
Does lupus ever attack the spine.  I have had lupus and Graves disease for awhile and now my back is in severe pain. In the past I have only had joint pain, fevers etc.  I have been in remission for many years but of cause I still hurt. Not sure what remission means in lupus.Went to the dr. and he took x-rays and is talking MRI.  I have two aunts that have arthritis in their spines.  Anyway not sure if lupus does attach spine and was hoping some one know.

Thank you for your help
I am new to this board, talk everyday on the headache/migraine board.  I am going to the neurologist tomorrow - he's and his wife and recept. are like family.  I have lupus, RA, Migraine, and going to the doc tomorrow for blood pressure and chest pain.  But I have a bazaar past so please don't use me as a judge.  Herniated discs too - but played competitive tennis growing up with no coach.  Won a lot but never even stretched.

Any way, I research a lot.  Inflammation in general can definitely affect the spine.
How old are you?
Where is the pain located? Lower back, going down leg etc...
How much pain?  Does Advil or tylenol work?

MRI's are done ALL the time for back pain basically for the doctor to determine is you have herniated discs, the material between the vertebrae (sp) or if they are just small buldges, etc...  Don't even worry about surgery yet because phyical therapy alone can cure your symptoms - it all depends.  Even if you have a really bad disc they can do a one day surgery - discectomy - I had one -wasn't bad at all.  I'll check here tomorrow, I'm not a doctor but if you have to get an MRI I can tell you some info so you know what to look for.  Definitely get an OPEN MRI machine if you are clausterphobic.
Thank you for taking the time to answer me. I went to a chiropractor
and he took x-rays.  I'll find out in the few days what he found. He suggested I sleep with a pillow between my knees. Really did help, felt weird, but better.  He did mention MRI, def. open.  I like to work out but everytime I do I hurt so bad I've given up on that.  I'm going to ask him about easy exercises that work. So I really don't know anything yet about a disc, which he also mentioned.  With lupus you never really know what's going on, also the weather plays such a big part in this whole mess.  I am 60 but in good shape.  I am ll5 and 5'and try to not let this effort me but you know how that goes.  I'll let you know what is going on.  Oh my bones are fine, just had a test but don't know if bone des. tests show disc's or not. Pain is middle
spine to tailbone.

Hope you are doing okay, sounds like you have been through alot too.
Glad we have this, just found out about it the other day.

Take care,
Tina
Hi Tina,
I have had Lupus for approx, 17 years.  I too have a lot of back pain, but only while lying down.  My rheumatologist and everything I have researched,  says lupus does not affect the spine.  I had MRI and it shows osteoarthritis in lower back.  However, this does seem to be a common problem with people who have lupus and I don't know why.  As for exercising, I can only suggest walking and light resistance training on days when you have energy and are pain free.  The resistance training is such a benefit for our bone density.  Start out with very low weight such as about 15-30 lbs, whatever is comfortable and low reps such as 5-7 and work up from there.  I don't think it does anything for the joint pain, but it does keep my weight down and the mental and emotional benefit is certainly beneficial.