Lupus Community
14 year old daughter---Please help, advice needed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

I am a long time medhelp member.  It's been a long time since I've posted, and I need your help!  My daughter (14 years old) started running a fever on March 23.  The fever has been consistantly above normal (100.0-103.5) for over 40 days.  She has extreme joint pain in her lower back and hips.  In 2008, she was diagnosed with JRA, but the doc. told us that it was the kind that young children "grow out of".  Starting in March, we have seen MANY specialists (immunologist, rheumatologists and infectious disease).  She has normal CBC's and her SED rate and CRP's are within normal ranges.  Her ANA, however, is elevated.  The first one we took was 1:320 with a speckled pattern and then less than a week later is 1:640, still speckled pattern.  The first med. they put her on was Plaquenil for Lupus.  Then he called about a week later and told us to stop the plaquenil and put her on steroids.  Two days later, he stopped the steroids because she was scheduled for an MRI, and didn't want to mask any inflammation.  The MRI was "normal".  On Sunday of this past week, she was admitted to Children's Hospital, just to monitor fever.  Her fever seemed to be coming down at that point, with its highest being on ly 100.3.  (That is the irony of my life.  Sick for over a month, we finally get to the hosp., and the fever starts coming down.)  Can anyone relate to a high ANA, that seems to be getting higher, but normal sed rates and CRP's?  Any ideas as to what this is?  She does not have gastrointestinal symptoms, but has always complained with joint pain.  Many times in the past, I teased her about being a "drama queen", and now feel horrible because she probably was in pain.  The pain seems to move from different joints, but the back pain is consistant.  Her fever was normal for 3 days and then again 2 days ago, she had a fever of 100.3.  Not high, I know...but still indicative of some inflammatory response.  She has nothing infectious, no mono, no strep, no cat scratch fever...etc.  Help!!!  Any advice is welcome--Thanks, Heather