Lupus Community
ANA & SSA positive, Anti SSB negative, No symptoms??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Hi there,
I have had some positive test results back but am not experiencing any symptoms.  I was actually being tested for something else - to see if any genetic factors that may make it likely for me to have pre-eclampsia again with another baby.  I came back ANA positive.  Further tests were done stating:

SSA Antibody: positive
Comment - Anti SSA without SSB antibodies are associated with SLE or Sjogren's syndrome.

The doctor just tested me today for inflammation to see if anything would show up in my blood work so I'm waiting on those results.  As I said I have no symptoms so I wanted to see if these test results indicate that I may have Lupus or some auto immune disease in the future?  Multiple Sclerosis runs in my family (sister, 2 Aunts, cousin) and another cousin has lupus.  Can you have these test results but not ever show signs of a disease?  Are they an indication of anything else?

I will be seeing a specialist in February in regards to these results and having another baby so I will find out more information then.  
Thanks so much for any help,
Tammy

I really hate to say this, but it does sound like you may develope symptoms one day.  There are people who have positive ANA and never have lupus, but with the other positive tests and the family history of autoimmune diseases, you seem to be at a high risk.  

Pay attention when you are in the sun for say.... longer than 15-20 minutes.  You may develope a rash or deep redness arcross your cheeks and the bridge of your nose, or you may break out in a "measles" like rash all over.  Mine never itches, but I have heard some does, but I don't think it is common for the all over rash to itch.  Along with the rash, you may all of a sudden have extreme fatigue, pain in joints, pain in ribs, pain in upper back or kidney region and really feel a lot like you just came down with the flu.  This may last for a couple of hours and then all the pain will seem to settle in your joints, big time.  

If you have any of these symptoms, please contact your doctor.  Of course, there are those that have lupus, but are not photosensitive, but I think in one way or another, most ppl are photosensitive.  I am highly, to the sun and to flourescent lighting.  People with lupus can have different symptoms, but the underlying symptoms of severe fatigue and pain in joints and bones will always be there.  So, just pay attention to any new symptoms that may show up and definitely discuss with your doctor, especially since you want to try for another baby.  When pregnant, the symptoms become much harder to treat, due to damaging the fetus.  And, it's really crazy, but some people may get better when pregnant, which contradicts what they think is related to the reason more women have lupus than men, which is the levels of estrogen.  Those levels tend to rise when pregnant, so you would think you would be sicker, but not necessarily.  That's why this disease is so hard to diagnose and treat.  But, with the positive tests, symptoms, and family history, it makes it easier to diagnose.  

I hope you are one of the lucky ones!  It is a disease that can be a nightmare to control.  Pay close attention to any odd symptoms you might have, especially while pregnaht and please take care of yourself.  Alot of women which have lupus, can have competely normal pregnancies, just pay attention to anything unusual and report to your doctor.

Good luck!
Gypsyw  
It really depends on the level of these test.  If they are in the "low titer" range, then it could be they are elevated because you have a family history.  According to "The Lupus Book" by dr. Wallace, some people who have other family members with autoimmune diseases can test positive...but they are usually in low titer.  Probably 1:80 or below.  

I know this is easier said than done, but try not to stress over this.  To get all excited about a test that may or may not be relavant is not going to help you.  Actually, stress can MAKE you more seseptable to illness.  So if you are not having symptoms, let it go and enjoy life!!!

~Kara
Thanks so much for both your responses.  You've given me some things to think about and more questions to ask the next time I see my doctor.  Its all a bit overwhelming at first trying to make sense of the information.  Kara I know what you mean about stress not helping!  I definitely have appreciated things more lately and not having any symptoms in my body.  All the best to both of you.
Tammy
Keep us posted on how things come out.
i also recently got tested and i was positive for ANA and positive for SSA and SSB. and my rheumatoid factor was about 600. i have not really had any symptoms except recently i had pleuritis before i got tested. the doctors think it is some kind of lupus or autoimmune disease because of how high my rheumatoid factor was but i dont have any of the symptoms. so they are just going to have me go every once in a while and watch me to see if anything presents itself.
I have a postive ana and SSA.  I have joint pain mostly in my hands, headaches, muscle pain/weakness, fatiuge and break out in a rash after longer sun exposure.  I have an appointment with a rheumatologist in one month, but it killing me to know. I have a very high stress job and two small kids.  So I just cut back on work and am ve;ry anxious to know what is going on.
What does it mean ANA Titr SEr Hep2 Subst 1:160 ANA pattern, speckled
Reumematoid factor <10 but SSA is 44.77.  Everything else is normal?  No history of lupus or Sjograns in the family