ANA test results
Hi!
I have recently had some blood work done. My ANA was reported as Positive ANA 15 - homogeneous and speckled pattern. My question is what titer does the 15 correspond with? I have done some research, but I haven't found an explanation for this? Can anyone help?
Thanks!
Allyson
Hi Allyson,

Welcome to Medhelp.  It appears there are two ways they talley up ANA levels.  One way is by a titer that reads 1:40, 1:80, 1:160 (it doubles every time they wash the specimine and still see the antibody.)  Anything over 1:40 is considered positive, but they really don't take notice until it gets up there around 1:320.  

The other is called ANA IU/ML.  Anything over 7.5 is considered positive.  But I am not familar enough with these readings to give an assesment.  I'm assuming this is the test your dr. did.  I have gone up to the lab and asked to speak to someone about my test.  I try to go when they are not swamped.  (15 is double of 7.5, so it could be a significant level)

They also look at symptoms as well.  Some healthy people can have a positive ANA.  What kind of symptoms are you having?