Lupus Community
Anemia and lupus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Anemia and lupus

For the past few months I've been feeling very tired ,and at times extremely exhausted. My periods have  very heavy  for the past year. Recently  I went to my doctor and she did some tests and I was diagnosed with anemia,but the test also showed I had some kind of inflammation along with some bleeding,she was never clear on what type of inflammation or where I had it.,but instead she only asked me a few questions and then diagnosed me with lupus .
My question is should my doctor run more tests before coming to the conclusion that  I have lupus?
I kind of felt dismissed by my own doctor.
Hi!
Well, if you have been having heavy periods and some inflammation in your body then you are likely to feel tired due to anemia and inflammation. Heavy periods or menorrhagia is usually due to fibroids, adenomyosis, endometriosis, uterine polyps, hormonal imbalance, thyroid problems and bleeding disorders. It can also be due to miscarriage, however in this case, there is bleeding in between periods as well.
The inflammation can be due to heavy bleeding, or due to pelvic inflammatory disease or due to vaginal thrush, or due to arthritis or an autoimmune disease. I am not sure what tests were done, but for confirmed diagnosis of lupus you need to get ANA, ANA staining and lupus related antibodies tested. Please try and consult a gynecologist first. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Hi!

Thank you doctor,for your advice.
There are also other symptoms that go along w/ lupus like joint pain, hair falling out, facial rash (malar rash), fatigue, nausea, the list goes on and on.  Usually a rheumatologist makes the final diagnosis.  
I'm not experiencing nausea,or anything like that. But I've been getting some  light bruises on different parts of my body, for no explained reason and  I've had  swollen lymph nodes  for many months that doesn't seem to go away.
I get low fevers every now and then,but not very often.
Are these some signs of  lupus?
I hear that your immune system gets very weak when you have lupus,is that true ?
Actually, lupus is an autoimmune disease which is when your immune system is in overdrive.  So the medicine they give you (plaquinel and steroids) lower your immunity.  

The bruising is a symptom of lupus and can indicate your blood is not clotting well.  

These are some symptoms of lupus:
1. malar rash over cheeks (butterfly rash) (74%)
2. discoid rash, red raised patches
3. photosensitivity - reaction to sunlight, resulting in skin rash (50%)
4. oral and nose ulcers
5. arthritis (95%)
6. serositis - inflamation (inflammation) of the lining of the lung or heart
7. reanl disorder - excessive protein in urine and/or cellular casts
8. neurologic disorder - seizures, or psychosis
9. anemia or low white blood count or lymphopenia or low platelet count
10. positive ANA
11. positive anti-DNA or anti-Sm, or antiphospholipid antibody or false pos. syphilis test

Other symptoms are:
fever (90-95%)
low vit D levels
abdominal pain
chest pain
shortness of breath
blood in urine
hair falling out (27%)
fatigue (90%)
muscle pain and weakness (90%)
dizziness
poor memory
headaches
poor circulation in fingers and toes
tingling in extremities
diarrhea
bloating
nausea
weight loss
blurred vision
depression
palpitations
raynauds (where fingers turn white when cold)
intollerance to cold
sore throat
lymph node swelling (50%)
Thanks for the information. It seems like Lupus is a complex disease,but to tell you the truth out of all those symptoms I've only been experiencing a few of them ,but I guess every case is different. I appreciate your help...take care.
Hello Lovelysweet4, It sounds like you have had a lot of really great advice already but I just wanted to share with you that if you feel dismissed from your doctor and your have a gut feeling that it may not be it or you want to know more, it never hurts to have a second opinion. In fact I always encourage a second opinion when any serious medical problem is diagnosed. I hope all is well, and good luck.
The symptoms that "most" people have w/ lupus are joint pain, fatigue, and malar rash.  I know there are others, but those three came to my mind quickly.  

What exactly are your symptoms?
Thank you..I was already thinking of getting a second opinion because my doctor's diagnosis seemed a bit inconclusive. Everyone knows their own body,and know when something is not quite right .
My symptoms are,fever,swollen lymph nodes,one side of my abdomen is slightly swollen,I have bruises,lost some weight but my appetite is still normal.I've been getting itchy skin ,light brown freckles on different parts of my body.
I'm out of breath from just going up a flight of stairs,this never happened to me before.
I barely have energy to do the things I use to do like cleaning my house,going shopping.When I do this thing I end up very tired and shorthand of breath....very strange symptoms.
I have my good days where I'm not so tired,but there are days where I'm so exhausted , I just want to lay down and rest.
Have they checked you for luekemia, or non-hodgeken's lymphoma?  

Some test they usually order when checking for lupus are:
ANA
anti-DsDNA
anti-Sm
anti-SSA
anti-SSB
rheumatoid factor (RF)
anti-Jo-1
anti RNP
anti-SC:-70
ANCA