Lupus Community
Butterfly face rash

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Butterfly face rash

Do people with Lupus almost always have the "butterfly" rash/redness on their face? My friend is being worked up for possibly having Lupus but does not have the rash?Just wondering how common the rash is, she is really worried.
The "butterfly" rash - also known as a malar rash - is a very common symptoms of lupus, however, you don't necessarily have to have it to have lupus.  It does occur in approximately 40-60% of lupus patients.  There are different types of lupus, too, so depending on what type of lupus your friend may have, the rash may not be as common.

It's also important to remember that not all cases of lupus are alike - some of the symptoms one person has, another person may not have.  And when there are flares, symptoms may vary from flare to flare - and sometimes even from day to day.  it can definitely get very frustrating for sure!

I hope your friend gets some answers soon as to whether she has lupus or not so that if she does, she can begin treatment and start feeling better.  Best of luck to both of you!
Thank you so much for the info, it really helps to have some understam=nding to help support her.
Hi there, I also have butterfly rash on my face (telangiectasia) but according to my Dermatologist, not all lupus patients have this.  I started having telangiectasia when I was 17, thought it was just like mosquito bites but now, it's severe.  I get offended when some people think I have "pimples".  I just use sunblock with SPF55 to protect it whenever I go out of the house.
I have the butterfly rash, but it is not as prominent on my face as I have seen it on others.  The severity of mine changes from day to day and I can mostly cover it with makeup.  Sun really makes mine darken, so I make sure to apply sun screen to my face even under my make up.