Lupus Community
Can I have lupus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Can I have lupus

My Anti-DNA (DS) Ab Qn is 32, where 0-9 is negative.  Sed rate, while elevated in the past, is normal now.  C-Reactive Protein is normal.   Can I have lupus
Hi!
If you have speckled ANA, then presence of dsDNA antibodies confirms lupus to a great extent. If the ANA staining test is equivocal, the ANA should be studied further to confirm lupus diagnosis. Presence of anti-SM (Smith) almost confirms lupus diagnosis, as it is rarely present in other disorders. Anti-Ro and Anti-Sm together almost confirm diagnosis. So, these antibodies should be tested. Do discuss this with your. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Here are some statistics:
positive ANA are found in 98% of lupus patients and 5-10% in normal ppl
positive anti-DNA are found in 50% of lupus and less than 1% in public

copied from "The Lupus Book" by Dr. Wallace:
"Antibodies to single-stranded DNA are found in many normal individuals.  However, the presence of antibodies to double-stranded DNA may suggest a serious form of SLE.  More than 90% of patients w/ anti DNA have SLE."

"Practically speaking, interpretation of the ANA test is guided by a few principles.  First, high level of this antibody (greater than 1:1280 or greater than 30 International Units) are usually associated with a real rheumatic disease.  Second, whereas rimed patterns are specific for lupus, homogeneious ANA patterns generally correlate with SLE, while speckled patterns are seen in SLE and with other autoimmune processes.  Even though ANA levels decrease with clinical improvement, this correlation is weak at best and not a reliable guage of the disease process.
'
"Anti-double-stranded DNA antibodies are RARELY present in patienits who do not have SLE.  They are found in hald of those with the disease and represent one of the more specific parameters for diagnosis and for following severe inflammation or organ involvement.  Occasionally, healthy people have low-level positive test."

*All of the above statements came from Dr. Wallace's book "The Lupus Book"