Lupus Community
Can you have a positive anti-RNP and be healthy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

I have recently got test results back and have a positive ana and a positive anti-rnp result as well as an elevated c-reactive protein. I was just wondering if it is possible for someone to have these results and be healthy. I know you can have a positive ana result and c-reactive protein but I am not so sure about anti-rnp. Can this be positive and mean nothing? I can't find the answer anywhere and I have to wait 7 weeks before I can see a rheumy.
Are you not having any symptoms?  I wouldn't think a dr. would do these expensive test on someone w/o symptoms.  

What were your numbers on these test?
I am having symptoms, bad joint pain especially in my hands, wrists and shoulders that causes alot of weakness as well as pain. Also Im always tired and am sleeping about 12-14 every night- except for the nights were my arms are so stiff and painsul that it wakes me up. I was just wondering if it was possible to have these results with these symptoms and it not be connective tissue disorder- possibly lupus as my mother had sle
Hi Lynn,
anti RNP is essential for a dx of mixed connective tissue disease, a lupus look-alike.  However it is not specific to this disease, since 20 to 30% of lupus patients and a small number of scleroderma or wheumatoid arthritis patients also have the anti-RNP.

Sometimes these test can be a false positive and a second test from another lab might be advised.  

MCTD is a combination of lupus and scleraderma.  MCTD patients must have a positive anti-RNP and ANA.  Their condition resembles lupus, but tend to have puffy hands, complain of heartburn and swallowing problems and have interstitial scarry of the lungs on chest x-ray.  Raynaud's phenomenon is almost always seen in MCTD.
-Scleraderma is characterized by inflammation that heals with tightening of the skin and scarring of the tissues.

If they check your ANA again, be sure and spend time in the sun prior to you lab.  
Hello! I just asked my doctor that same question a week ago, as I have a positive high ANA and positive high RNP, and he said no health person has a positive RNP, the reason I asked was i found this on one of my many sites, so i went to him and said the same thing as i have so many question about my lab work and not enough answers to what is going on with me, as I have been this way for over 4yrs and i am sick of taken pills, he tells me i am sitting and waiting to fall to the lupus side, but a part of me is holding on, well i just want to know as i have been out of work for 2yrs and i am sick of all the pain, My ana and rnp have been positive high for 4+ yrs and have never once changed.. I wish you luck
it seems to me that reading everything on RNP is very confusing and contradictory.  I was diagnosed with MCTD having an RNP of 3.  Some say take Aleve for aches and pains and others say it shouldn't be ignored and no healthy person has a high level of RNP.  What am I to believe?  Also, I have an appt. this Wed. with a Rheumatologist.  Hopefully I can get some answers then.