Lupus Community
Cardiolipin Antibody Test and Swollen Gland in Chin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Hi there!  I'm a 42 yo female.  Tested positive twice now (within 4 months) for Cardiolipin Antibody test.  I have terrible skin rashes, that no Derm nor MD can figure out, even with skin biopsy.  

Lately, I have a swollen gland "in" my chin, not below it.  It's there every morning when I wake and I'm really bad thirsty, and thirsty throughout the day (no diabetes).  

Is the Cardiolipin indicating that I'm perhaps migrating to Lupus?  The only other item I've been positive for is I have 2 genes found for Gluten Intolerance (DNA test).  Any ideas?
Hi.
Cardiolipin antibodies, can be found in people with infections, have you got an infection? with having a swollen gland.

Do You have any other symptoms?

Also cardiolipin antibodies, are in a Lupus screen. As positive Anticardiolipin Antibodies, on 2 occassions,over a 8-12 week period depending on doctor, can also if you have other problems, usually clotting problems, headaches, etc, can indicate the Antiphospolipid Syndrome.

How many times have you had the anticardiolipin antibodies tested? and how many times did you test positive?

If you are positive, then i would say you need to find a specialist who deals in APS,

If you need anymore help on the matter , i would be glad to help

Nicola
I am just coming back to say also, with you being thirsty , like you have a dry mouth, have you been tested for Sjorgens Syndrome, This is one of the diseases, which can also go alongside Antiphospolipid Syndrome.

Get tested
Nicola
Hi and thanks for replying!  The only things (through the years) that I've tested positive for and have are (and I've been tested for tons of stuff, even lead poisoning):

1)  I currently have, what is believed to be, Eczema.  Had skin biopsy and it was Perivascular Dermatitis.  Have had this now for 4 years and the only thing that usually helps is topical steroids.  I'm skeptical on the "Eczema" theory as I have round circles that are clearing in the center, which makes me think Subcutaneous Lupus.  However, I've been doing tanning bed sesions lately trying to see if that helps it and I have not worsened, like you would expect to happen if it were Lupus.

2)  I've had ANA tests galore.  In October 2010, my new doctor skipped the cheapie ANA test and did the individual antibody tests, as if to measure disease activity.  This is where he found the Cardiolipin Antibody test was positive.  I had the test again in February 2011, and it was again positive and higher.  He spoke with a Rheumatologist who said that I should be tested again in 12 weeks, and we'll go from there.

3)  I've had the serological (blood) tests several times for Celiac Disease, all which were negative.  However, I sent away and had DNA testing done for Celiac, as I do have bad digestive problems.  While I was negative for the Genes for Celiac, I did have double-positive Genes for Gluten Intolerance.

So, I have these physical problems:

- Swollen Gland in My Chin
- Eczema (?)
- Cardiolipin Antibodies (IGM, 39 on scale of 0-19)
- DNA Double-Positive for Gluten Intolerance

Bodily Symptoms:

- Extreme Exhaustion Spells
- Increased Intensity of Hayfever, at times
- Migraine Headaches (lifetime event)
- Bouts of Diarrhea/Constipation
- Frequent Low-Grade Fevers
- Missed Menstrual Periods
- Extreme GERD
- Extreme Thirst
- Bouts of Mysterious Muscle Inflammation
- Joint Pain
- Feeling of System-Wide Inflammation

So, you see, I'm quite a mystery.  I don't know if it's the Gluten that could be causing all these problems or not.  I mean, the only thing that was positive was DNA for Gluten, which means that I am a candidate for it, but it doesn't mean that's what is currently happening.  I feel better when I don't eat Gluten, but at the same time when I go on a Gluten Free diet, I'm worrying that I will become vitamin deficient as all the B vitamins are in the breads and whole grains and such.

I know something has changed or worsened for this gland to be swollen in my chin.  I have also had the antibody test for Sjogren's, the DNA DS Antibody, and it was 3 on a scale of 0-120, which means it was negative.

As a whole ... I feel pretty good say 80% of the time.  But, when I feel bad, I feel like death is just around the corner.  And, one thing I have noticed, that is "patterned", is that I always feel worse when I'm about 10 days from menstrual cycle.  Could all this BE because perhaps I'm almost menopausal?  Here's my main theories of what it could be as I, with the doctors' testing, have ruled out pretty much everything else:

1)  Gluten Intolerance
2)  Menopause
3)  Lupus

Any thoughts from anyone would be MUCH appreciate.  THANK YOU!
Hi.
I would definately now i have seen your symptoms, push for the Anticardiolipin test to be done, and if it is positive then you want to be referred to an APS, specialist.
You mention skin , well i have APS, and it affects my skin bigtime.
You mention headaches, aches and muscle inflammation, and i get them also.

They said my skin was eczema also, but my APS, specialist said it is not Eczema, and he sees many patients were APS, affects the skin.

I would definaely try a gluten free diet, just to see if this is the Gluten what is causing this or something else.

You mention the Anti -DNA , for Sjorgens, i always thought the test for Sjorgens was SSA, SSB.
Alongside with a lip biopsy, and i am sure the Anti-DNA, is the indicator for Lupus.
Dont quote me on this, i think i am right , but we might get some more input here.

If you need anymore help regarding the Anticardiolipin Antibodies, i can definately help you there.
Were do you live? which country? If you are in England i can point you to the best Doctors in the world, for the Anticardiolipin?

Good luck
Nicola
I am 54yr old female, that has been dealing with similar symptoms fpr years. Ever since the birth of my son 27 years ago when I started with joint pain, I have had alopecia in the past, itching of my hands and feet when cold. Visual disturbance (zigzag pattern) and within the last three years a rash that started on my chest the first year as a scaly rash but the last two years, in the summer I get different size red circles on my legs with a small fulid center that itch and scar up my legs for a long time. Years ago I had a higher then normal ANA test but recently they have been normal but I always have a high antiphospholipid syndrome - APS recently 131. I know I have lupus or similar auto immune but to get a blood test to agree is difficult and from reading a lot online I now know that the visual disturbance and the rash are from the APS, but the two dermatologist I seen could not tell me that.
Thanks for your comment DonnaX369!  Recently, I just tested positive for Celiac Disease via a Stool Test, as well as the DNA testing.  So, I have been eating gluten free for a few weeks now, and a miraculous improvement in my health!  Hoping to get healed up completely with more time.  But, I'm still nervous about my Cardiolipin test.  I have tested positive twice for it, in the medium/high range.  So, I'm going back in a week or so and get the final 3rd test.  If it's positive as well, then I will have to seek a specialist in APS I'm sure.  I'm just curious to know if the gluten being seen as an infection by my body caused the Cardiolipins to be active.  But, will know soon.  Thanks so much and good luck!!!
Hi.. I am APS postive on several test for several years and I believe I have Lupus too. Years ago I gave up going to the doctors because they made me feel my symptoms, and there have been many, alopecia, false positive syphilis etcbut they made me feel the joint pain was in my head. For the past three years. In the warmer weather.. I live on the east coast USA, I get the same rash that you are describing on my legs and they itch until the centers break, as soon as some are healing, new ones are starting and take a very long time to go away. Another new symptom I get is tip of my nose gets red and tingles and in certain cold temperatures, my hands or feet itch. This could be the APS or Raynaud's.
Sorry.. I didn't realize I already posted on Feb 4th, but I guess I would like to know if anyone else is dealing with the rash described and has it been diagnosed?
Hey there!  Well, I had my 3rd APS test done last week, and the doctor should call today or tomorrow with the results.  Meanwhile, I'm now dealing with a "non enough stomach acid" problem, caused by prolonged use of Prevacid.  So BE CAREFUL folks out there using Prevacid.  I took it for years and am now off it and having a real hard time digesting foods.  But, gonna try and work through it adding in some vitamins and probiotics and such.

But, yes!  I too have the tip of my nose, over the past few months, red and tingly and itchy.  I also have a rash on my face too.  I haven't been able to link this mysterious rash, which still remains a mystery, to anything yet.  Still working on everything.

I do understand how the doctors just shrug you off and make you feel like it's all in your head.  I too have had that same feeling.  I go for a while to the doctors, and then I give up a while.  It's quite exhausting.

Went to the doctor last week, and my thumb nails, over about the past 6-9 months, have gotten horizontal ripples in them.  He tried to say that I was picking at my nails or biting them in my sleep!  I felt like tackling him and sitting on him to he drew his last breath!  But, a doctor I had went to a few months ago, said that it is "spooning" of the nails caused by anemia.  So ... perfect example of how STUPID doctors are and try to make nothing out of something!

Hang in there and don't give up.  Mine has been going on a good 6-10 years, but feeling like I'm getting closer to a diagnosis now.  Hope so ... before I die!  ha!ha!  Take care!