Lupus Community
Chronic Sinusitus/Lupus related?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Chronic Sinusitus/Lupus related?

Hello and thanks for this informative service! I have had 4 or 5 sinus infections in the past year and treated with antibiotics and steroids. I had allergy tests (RAST) around 15 years ago and had so many allergies they jokingly said they were going to make me their poster child! I went this week to a university hospital allergy program and was tested for allergies with skin pricks and shots. Thankfully and surprisingly, they resulted with the diagnosis of Non-allergic Rhinitis showing that I am not allergic to anything! They said I must have outgrown them. They also did a sinus CT Scan and it shows I have a pocket of infection in one of the sinuses beside the bridge of my nose and that the inside of my nose (both sides) is so swollen that the openings to my sinuses are almost completely closed. I can't use decongestants because of heart problems. They have prescribed Ceftin, Prednisone, Nasonex, Patanase, and Pataday (along with Zyrtec for the skin itching caused by Lupus). I am wondering if it is possible that the Lupus could be the cause for the nasal inflammation that seemingly is stopping up my sinuses? Any thoughts, experiences and information or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!
I don't know if Lupus is a cause for nasal inflammation.  I wouldn't be surprised if it is.  I do know that Sjogren's Syndrome will cause nasal issues, basically due to the moisture glands drying up.  Sjogren's usually (but not always) goes hand in hand with Lupus.  Have your doctor check you for Sjogren's.   Call the university back and ask them.  I would think they would know more about that than we would.  Also, check the Lupus.org site to see what they say.  
Do you get hives or is it just sinus problems???
Just sinus problems and the occasional Lupus rashes. I will look into Sjogren's. Could vaginal irritation be related to Sjogren's as well?
I have had lupus for at least 16-17 yrs.  I got a bad sinus infection 8 yrs ago and have had constant sinus issues since!  I also have been tested for allergies , I have none,  all negative.  Many antibiotics, nasal sprays and prednisone later , I still suffer with constant thick mucus that comes down the back of my throat.  The only thing that stops it for me is a pred burst and it always comes back.  I am now trying pulmicort respules with the sinus rinse I use with a "neil med" bottle and saline solutiion.  I saw many ENT's and recently in the last 8 mo have gone to a  University hospital ENT and he put me on this.  I  no longer have a infection but the mucus just won't stop.  My rheumy is little help with this since it' not what he treats, although he will give me a burst for a break from it.

I'm not sure this is of any help, but at least you know your not alone in this.  I thought I was nuts from it since I couldn't get it under control, it has been worse for me than dealing with lupus pain and flares .  Mainly because it occurs several times a day with constant hacking and coughng.

Best of luck in your search for answers.
YES, Sjogrens will cause vaginal irritation as well.  I went years with that irritation and was given many many yeast infection meds.  Lo and Behold, I was also in the middle of pre-menopause, which causes that, and also at the beginning of my sjogren's issues.  But I have since found info that states that the dryness sjogrens causes can cause the vaginal tissue to be so dry that even with lubricant, sexual intercourse will cause tearing and bleeding.  And I have that problem.  Sjogren's is very mean and nasty.  If you have lung issues as well, such as dry cough all the time, or whooping cough, have the doc check you for sjogren's related lung problems.  Sjogren's will dry out everything, if it feels like it.  
OK you just got me wondering about something.  How is it that your allergies just disappeared?  I went to the allergist this last week for a RAST and they started off with 10.  I showed positive for all ten.  She then told me that I would probably show positive for all 72 they were going to do because of my lupus.  She called it dermagenic or dermagraphic???  I wish I could remember.  Anyway, they ened up having to send me to the lab where they drew 12 viles of blood to test my allergies that way.  I am just wondering if they only did a skin test on you or did they do bloodwork?  Is it possible you do have allergies but your immune system is messing up the test?  Just a thought.

Oh another note.  Talking baout coughing and hacky and dry coughs.  When I was on chemo for the lupus about 4-5 months ago I got pneumonia and the flu at the same time.  They took me off of the chemo and I had to go through 5 rounds of anti-biotics to get my lungs clear.  They are clear now but I cough constantly, have for months.  They are now thinking it is acid reflux which we have known I have and I take med for but they say 50% of people have it and don't know they have it and it comes up your throat just enough to get into your lungs and cause coughing or in my case pneumonia.  Just something to think about.  I had never heard it could do that.
Take care.
Joni
Thanks for all of the great info! Would they likely have checked for Sjogren's at my physical? I'm still on my 15 month cycle of antibiotics, nasal sprays and prednisone. The university sinus program has recently added Patanase, Pataday and now the ENT has added Singulair. Not much improvement though. I have tried the saline wash quite a few times, but it always makes me worse (especially the headache). I do have some gerd from time to time, but not much coughing.