Lupus Community
Common Cold and Lupus?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Common Cold and Lupus?

I am just starting to get a cold and was hoping someone could let me know if there is any advice on dealing with the common cold with lupus?  I usually do nothing for a cold and just let it run its course, however, I am afraid my cold will lead to a flare.  Are there certain medications or vitamins to take or to avoid?  Is Coldeeze safe?  Should I load up on vitamin C?  I do have an appointment with a new rheumy in a few days, so I will check with her, of course.  Also, do you find that getting sick with a cold/virus leads to a flare for any of you?  (I am still undiagnosed, but with my bloodwork, I am certain I have lupus.)

I have had Lupus for 10 years and I used to get colds that lasted for weeks with lingering terrible coughs for up to 6 weeks.  I do remember that having a cold did sometimes cause a flair up.  First, I reduced my regular Lupus symptoms by about 70% by using natural progesterone cream.  I wrote all the specifics about it on the forum reply to "aussie mum's" "Is this a death sentence?" Some of the brand names were edited out.  Dr. Lee's book "What Your Doctor Won't Tell You About Menopause" recommends certain brands and tells about it.  It is not just for menopausal women.  Once I got my Lupus down to a mild status, I searched for other natural remedies.  I found the right combination of natural remedies to fight off a cold completely or make it about 50% less severe and only last 2 days.  This has now worked for the last 3 years.  The key to beating a cold is hitting it hard with these natural supplements AS SOON AS YOU START TO HAVE SYMPTOMS.  If you are wondering if it is just allergies or if it is a cold, treat it like a cold.  If you wait 24 hrs. this will not be nearly as effective.  Here is the cold remedy:
Airborne - 3 x per day until 2 days after symptoms
Zinc Lozenges - 4 per day
Oil of Oregano - 2 DROPS in a full glass of part juice and part water 2x per day.  This stuff is strong.  Don't take more than 4 drops in a day. This is only in health food stores or on-line.
For sore throats, gargle with salt water 3 x per day
Drink lots of water.  Eat garlic, onions, and food with some hot pepper.
I believe the Coldeeze zinc losenges are safe.  That cold remedy that is a nazal spray, I think it is called Zycam, is not safe.  There were reports of people loosing their sense of smell.  Don't take this cold stuff all the time.  If there is someone in your home or work that is sick, I would take a smaller dose every day while they are sick to prevent getting it.
Hope this helps you and others,
Lauren
Thanks Lauren.  I wish I had read your comment weeks ago. Ive been sick with a cold for five weeks.

Doreen