Lupus Community
Could it be lupus?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Could it be lupus?

I had recent onset joint pain in my fingers and wrists with some swelling in one wrist.  My knee and hip also hurt.  I'm extremely tired and have no energy some days.  I noticed muscle pain in my thighs yesterday.  The pain in my fingers is unreal.  Mornings are worst cause I can't bend them or do normal everyday things and it gets a little better through the day but starts hurting again later at night and thru the night.  I now have tingling in my fingers.  From the other symptoms I have researched, I have sun sensitivity, rashes, and I get mouth and nose sores.  Went to my regular doctor and he gave me mobic and prednisone.  I felt back to normal on the prednisone.  Once it was over, the pain and stiffness was back.  Mobic by itself didn't help.  Went back to Dr. and be prescribed diclofenac.  He also did an RA test and an ANA.  Both were negative.  I know from previous genetic testing that I have the anticardiolipin antibody.  Can you have Lupus with a negative ANA?
To answer you question, yes you can have a negative ANA and still have lupus.  Prednisone can also cause the ANA to read negative.  You do have symptoms that would point to lupus.  I suggest you spend time in the sun prior to your next ANA screen.  Meanwhile, try to avoid sun exposure.
What does the sunlight do for an ANA screen?
If you have lupus, sun exposure will cause an immune response, thus causing the ANA to be elevated.  If you don't have lupus, it does nothing.  
I plan on making an appt with a rheumatologist.  Do I go in telling them what I think I have or just tell them my symptoms and let them go from there?  I really just want some relief.  Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.
I would advise you to just go with your symptoms written out and put a date on it.  I've found that most doctors will put that in your chart and if any new symptoms arise, they can keep tabs how you are doing...getting better or worse.  I have found that the least amount of words the better.  THeir time is very limited and if we can "Reader Digest" it, they can better sort it all out.  If they want to add any questions to that.  I have had drs ask me what I thought it was.  And honestly I DID NOT want lupus and didn't want that to be anywhere near my confession.  I would look at the pages of lupus symptoms and reason this can't be me, I'm not that sick.  But what I didn't realize is people don't have all 200 symptoms at once.  THose are just things that can go wrong if you have lupus.  

So make your list and go to the dr. appointment early so you can spend time in the sun prior to the appt..  Even on a cloudy day.  Although the exposure is not as strong, you still get UVB and UVA (I can't remember which one affects people w/ lupus)