Lupus Community
Could this be Lupus?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Could this be Lupus?

Hi Folks,

I am suffering from the following symptoms and were wondering if anyone knows whether this could be Lupus or perhaps some kind of autoimmune disorder. Obviously I am consulting my doctor about it but unfortunately we don’t seem to be making much progress which is why I have now started doing a bit of my own reading, anyway I would be most grateful if someone with a bit of experience in this area could give me an opinion as to whether such a possibility may be worth investigating or whether I am probably way off.

Many thanks in advance and all the best,

BFB

Symptoms I have suffered the last 9 years that have put my life on hold

• Sometimes I can suffer significant memory loss and cognitive dysfunction, I can struggle to find words; thinking can sometimes be like swimming in treacle at times. Sometimes I can’t remember things like what I had for breakfast or my cash card number.

• Depression, restlessness and irritability, anxiety, sometimes can experience mania and mood swings but not in line with classic bipolar cycles, can get easily upset, my mood problems have seemed far worse over the last 9 years.

• Sore feet which has been diagnosed by the hospital as plantar fasciitis.

• I have sensitivity to noise and can’t stand load noise as it feels like it hurts my brain. I can also be sensitive to sunlight.

• Sensitivity to movement, this too can also feel like it hurt’s my brain. Can’t go over speed bumps when riding in a vehicle without experiencing it.

• Full of excess gas and often having to burp.

• Need to open bowels frequently; stools are fairly loose, often having diarrhoea.

• Often get bad spots on body.

• Nasal congestion that has lasted the whole 9 years.

• Sometimes ringing in my ears.

• Sometimes foamy urine.

• Really bad excessive stomach acid, always having to take anti acid tablets several times a day, these days more and more.

• Significant weight gain.

• Seem to take longer to recover from colds.

• Sometimes pins and needles in hands.

• Astigmatism in my right eye.

Symptoms which I have experienced over the last year

• Fatigue, I can’t stay awake for more than about 4 or 6 hours without having to have a nap, but sometimes also get insomnia.

• Tests have shown I am now pre-diabetic, I still have normal blood sugar levels but am suffering from significant insulin resistance and due to this I can’t go for too long without eating, no more than a few hours, when it kicks in it’s like a withdrawal and causes intense stress and irritability, when I eat it relieves it.

• I sometimes get a sore left hand side of my torso sort of around my kidney area.

• Blood pressure can sometimes be high.

• Pains in knuckles, especially the left and have very sore elbows at present especially the left, often feels like I have hit my funny bone.
Hi there, some of your symptoms sound much like fibromyalgia.  I know that is thrown around a lot, but I think it's a strong possibility.  It can also cause the bowl issues you are having.

I would encourage you to get on a good probiotic along w/ some fiber.  I struggled w/ sour stomach and diarhea (diarrhea) for many years.  I found an herb that helped tremendously called "slippery elm".  It coats the entire digestive tract.  What a wonderful herb.  I take (1) daily as maintance, but when symtpoms flare up, I take several.  
Thank you so much for your reply. Yes you may well be right from what I have just read that is also another possibility with these kind of symptoms, in fact from the very little I have just read Lupus and fibromyalgia often share very similar symptoms although fibromyalgia is more common and more often than not the case, maybe it could be that.

I must admit I don’t like what I am reading about what some people have to go through to get diagnosed, Lupus sounded hard enough but fibromyalgia sounds even worse, the testing for it sounds less specific than Lupus, in fact I have read some doctors don’t even recognise it as a illness in its own right but rather just a collection of symptoms that are associated with other conditions, what a day at the beach going through all that sounds like, still at least it is the less serious out the two from what I have heard.

Do you think I ought to get an ANA test and maybe something like a c reactive protein test at least then it will show whether the is auto antibody issues as well as inflammation neither of which fibromyalgia from what I have read should be causing not all by its self anyhow, then maybe it would help to narrow things down further, what do you reckon? Would this be a good cause of action. Oh and by the way you may have guessed the reason I am here in the first place is because my NHS doctors have been of very little help, if I leave it up to them I think I will just be like it for the rest of my life. Obviously a patient should not really be having to be in this position but hey that’s life.

Thanks again and all the best,
It really depends on if you have insurance.  ANA test is extremely expensive.  I would suggest trying a few things.  First off, try getting your bowls in good working order.  All that diarhea (diarrhea) can make you really tired and susceptable to illnesses.  Also, try to get good sleep.  I took benadryl for years.  I now take a prescription.  Also, try not to stress over things.  (I'm not saying you do, but stress can trigger flare-ups)  Sugar is also a trigger.  I've learned that having a positive outlook goes a long way.  I quote scripture and tell myself that God always leads me in His triumph.  There is always something positive coming out of my mouth, even when I am terribly depressed.  I refuse to give up.  

Yes, the diagnosing process is very difficult and frustrating.  But really fibro is reletively easy.  There are 18 pressure points and if a dr. knows what they are doing, it doesn't take long to assess if you are tender in those pressure points.  It's those pesky autoimmune diseases that are difficult.

Prayers and blessings my friend.
Health care is free in my country (UK) although actually getting the testing and care you need isn't always easy depending on your situation, the problem is I really don't know what sort of testing I need and my doctors are happy to just let me carry on like this indefinitely not that it should be up to me to decide or that I should have to be asking on a forum but when you have been tarred with the mad brush and are been ignored by your doctors what else can you do.

I have actually seen private ANA tests in my country advertised for as cheap as £100 ($160) do you think that is too cheap to be likely to be a genuine test?

Also does anybody else have any opinion as to whether an ANA test is likely to be of use considering my symptoms or do you honestly think I am probably just wasting my time, please feel free to say. Sorry to press further on the issue but none of the Doctors I have seen seem to be offering much help and I am desperate to get my life back so I need to try and figure out what sort of direction I need to be encouraging my doctors in, I really don't want to wait another ten years, I want my life back.

Thanks again,
So would your dr. order an ANA test?  If healthcare is free, I would just keep going to the dr.  

As far as the cheep ANA test, I have no clue what to tell you.  
Thanks again for your reply and sorry to keep pressing you like this, health care is free but sometimes getting it can be like getting blood out a stone, sometimes you almost have to be dying before they take any notice.

I also forgot to mention that my last blood test had a high white blood cell count and my doctor said oh you must of had a cold or infection or something and when I explained that actually I have had nothing, nada, zip, he just kind of shrugged his shoulders and moved on to the usual patronising stuff like have you heard of vegetables and do you know that exercise is good for losing weight, etc and why not run your *** around the block as it is cheaper than us actually having to do proper testing, ah state health care you have got to love it!

Anyway I probably should have mentioned the high white blood cell count, that’s one of the things that led me to the whole field of lupus and auto immune health problems, so considering this too do you think I should be pressuring my doctors for an ANA test or am I just likely to be wasting my time?

Like I say they often don’t do anything unless you really pressure them into it, I don’t mind camping out in my sleeping bag if there is a significant chance I am on the right track, but at the same time I don’t want to be the hypochondriac that is just wasting their time, but not having much knowledge of this area I honestly don’t know how likely an auto immune problem is  considering my symptoms and whether I should be kicking up a fuss about it, do you mind if I put it another way? If it were you would you be trying to get an ANA test?

Thanks again and all the best,
I really don't think you have lupus.  I would lean more toward low thyroid or low B12.  And the fibromyagia or chronic fatigue.  But I dont' recall you stressing the fatigue part.  Have they tested you thyroid or b12 level?
My thyroid yes, vitamin b12 no, I think the fatigue is related to my insulin resistance and the effect that may be having on my blood sugars but it's funny you mention vitamins as the last 24 hours I have been experimenting with sucking an A-Z vitamin and letting it dissolve against my check, I know they taste gross but the absorption feels such much better I swear they just pass through you otherwise and to my amazement it is really helping with my insulin resistance as I am not having to eat anywhere near as much!

I think there may be a connection, I think the whole deficiency thing could be playing a major role or may even be the root cause, I mean if there was some sort of other condition or disorder causing it surely the symptoms wouldn’t be resolved by sucking a vitamin tablet? Sucking a multi vitamin wouldn’t relieve a symptom caused by an auto immune disorder for example would it? I presume not but then again I know very little about them but if not then a plain old simple vitamin deficiency may be the cause.

Oh by the way I am also finding sucking an magnesium tablet helps too, obviously this is another thing related to insulin resistance and fibromyalgia. It was you suggesting fibromyalgia which led me to coming across the vitamin and magnesium link. Thank you so much for your help I think even if making sure I get sufficient vitamins isn’t the cure it may be a big help in managing the symptoms. Thanks again!
Actually the more I read the more it seems magnesium and vitamin D could be playing a significant role here as magnesium is crucial for absorbing vitamin D.
I am still taking the vitamins and getting relief from the insulin resistance while I suck them at least but what I still don't know is whether I am dealing with a mere deficiency or whether it is something else like possibly an auto immune or other type of inflammation disorder and whether the vitamins are just good at relieving some of the symptoms.
It certainly couldn't hurt to get more nutrients in your system.  It has gotten very hard to get proper nutrion in our bodies as we keep depleting the soil of nutrients by using chemical fertilizers and eating junky food.  (I'm guilty of this more than anybody).  I'm so glad you are getting some results.  Hang in there.  Praying and believing God to help you every step of the way.