Lupus Community
Dental cleaning and/or dental procedures effect on lupus flares

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

I had a severe lupus flare in mid-Jan.2012 and developed pleurisy and a right pleural effusion.My sed rate was 60 and my CRP was 113!  In Nov.2011, my sed rate was 15 and my CRP  was 1.2. On Nov.14,2011,I had my semi-annual teethcleaning. I was given Amoxicillin 2 Grams by mouth before the cleaning . My dentist recommended that I have a dead,cracked tooth extracted.Prior to my appointment with the oral surgeon, I took Amoxicillin 500mg 3x/day for 1 week. So on Nov.28,2011 I had that premolar extracted. No problems with procedure.I fly to Los Angeles and Phoenix for the x-mas holidays. 3 weeks later, I fly home to New England and I become short of breath,have pain in my right chest and run a high fever.After taking much medicine(IMMURAN, PLAQUENIL AND PREDNISONE)FOR 5 MONTHS MY RHEUMATOLOGIST AGREED I COULD TAPER OFF PREDNISONE WHICH I DID ON MAY 23,2012. ON JUNE 11,2012 I WENT TO THE DENTIST FOR MY SEMIANNUAL DENTAL CLEANING. THE STORY ENDS WHEN .ON JUNE 25,2012 I STARTED C/O OF JOINT PAIN, FEVER,HAIR LOSS AND FATIGUE. I AM FLARING AND BACK ON PREDNISONE. I AM 67Y/O  AND HAVE RA AS WELL. I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH LUPUS 4 YEARS AGO.
Hi!
Any surgical procedure, starting or stopping a drug like an antibiotic, stress of any kind, and infections in the body can start a lupus flare even though exposure to sun or UV light is the commonest cause. So, if you had flares after both dental cleanings, I suggest you ask your dentist about other options which you try to keep your teeth clean. Other than that maybe you can also start a steroid before the procedure and taper it off after the procedure. This way you may be able to reduce the impact of the flare. Please discuss these possibilities with your doctor. Hope this helps. Take care!
Thank-you for responding to my inquiry re:dental procedures causing lupus flares. What dose of prednisone would you reccommend for prophylaxsis be fore a dental produre?