Lupus Community
Difference between Discoid and Systemic lupus
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Difference between Discoid and Systemic lupus

Hi Everyone,
Just wondering what the difference is between discoid and systemic lupus. I have read you are not usually ANA positive with Discoid. I am positive with titer of 1:160 speckled.
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
From what I know, discoid is skin only and systemic means your whole body can be affected.
Blank
434278_tn?1324709825
Discoid lupus is dxed when a patient with a discoid rash (confirmed by skin biopsy) does not fulfill the crieria for systemic lupus.  Although 10% of all lupus patients have DLE (discoid).  The lesions geerally do not itch.  They appear as thick and scaly.  Aching joints are found in 10-20% of patients w/ DLE.  Blood testing shows a positive ANA in about 1/2 of the cases.  20% may have anemia, and a 50% have a low white blood count.

W/o treatment, discoid lesions may progress.  After many years, some may turn into cancer.  DLE rarely evolves into SLE (10%) and are treated w/ antimalarial drugs and an occasional steroid shot.

Welcome Andrea to our forum
God bless and merry Christmas
Blank
1136439_tn?1290181652
Well, my MD has diagnosed me this morning with Discoid Lupus. My biospy was positive for rash seen with lupus plus my positive antibody blood testing. He says he doesn't know if I have systemic or not and that is why he is sending me to a rheumy who can better know what furthur test I need from here. He prescribed a steroid cream for my rash but is not sure if this will take care of it or not. I may need to take a steriod pill. I see the rheumy on February 3rd.
I will be on these post alot. It has really helped seeing things I never related to lupus. An example is my "lupus headaches". I get migraines with aura. It has just started over the last few years but never knew it could be related to my rash.....
Thanks for all the support and posts.
Andrea
Blank
434278_tn?1324709825
Hi Andrea,

So glad you got a dx.  Now you can move forward.  Yes, those headaches.... they are aweful!  There is not words to describ those aweful headaches.

I'm thinking that I read where the steroid creams just cause the skin to become thinner thus, in the long run, making the rash (skin erruptions) worse.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions or just jump in with a comment from others post.  Glad to have you on board!

Blessings, Kara
Blank
The steriod creams I was given caused cancer (in fine print in the insert) AND were petrolium jelly based! Like I'm going to put petrolium jelly on my FACE when I have acne already. So, I never used mine either. Plaquenil may clear it up.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Lupus Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank