Lupus Community
Dpes lupus run in families?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Dpes lupus run in families?

I am a 29 y/o female in good health overall.  Just after I turned 25, I had my first and only child.  I began experiencing weight gain (had actually lost weight due to healthier eating during the pregnancy) and hair loss.  Epic hair loss.  I had a couple episodes where I got a low-grade fever, my joints ached, and all I could really do was sleep for about a week (happens about 2x a year since then).  When I turned 26 I started a new job and began getting psoriasis-like sores on my elbows, which has since also began appearing on my scalp.  They peel, flake and bleed and take a long time to heal.  I bruise very, very easily and take a long to heal bruises or cuts.  Hair loss continues.  I used to be sick all the time - all the time, but now I rarely get sick, but when I do it knocks me on my *** for a long time.  I get white spots under all my finger nails, no red ones.  My mom has lupus, and I just wondered if I am at a increased risk from it.  We suspect my maternal grandmother may have had it also, but went undiagnosed.  My mom said some of my symptoms are like hers.  Any thoughts?  Thank you.
434278_tn?1324709825
Yes, lupus does seem to run in families.  Although no one else in my family has lupus other than my Aunt possibly has it.  Don't know if she has been dx w/ it.  She just has some similar symptoms.  

But just because your mom and grandma had doesn't necessarily make you a prime canidate.

What you describe could be (what I would call) pre-lupus symptoms.  I know my joints occasionally would hurt and I would occasionally have fatigue.  But I would chalk it up to over working myself.  The real deal didn't hit me like a ton of bricks until I went through a series of tramatic events.  

The best advice I can give you is to KEEP YOURSELF FREE OF STRESS!  Stress is what triggered the avalanch of symptoms in my life.  Worry doesn't change one thing.  The other piece of advice would be to try to stay away from sugar as much as possible.  Especially cokes (soft drinks).  Take good care of yourself, get plenty of rest and eat properly.  

I truly don't think you have a full fledged case of lupus.  But I do think you should be pro-active and not just let something this debilitating take over your life.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Lupus Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...