Lupus Community
Fibro, Lupus or something else?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Fibro, Lupus or something else?

Hi, I am feeling very frustrated at the many doctors I've been to and the lack of answers I'm finding. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia when I was 11 years old and over the years I am not sure if that is what I have anymore. My pain has lessened but headaches and fatigue have increased. I have tingling and numbness in my hands, severe abdominal pain that comes and goes, dizzy spells, and the worst has been crazy itching on my legs and arms for the past two and a half years. I have tried looking up my symptoms online and have found similarities in cases of Lupus, MS, and some type of pancreas issue. I'm wondering is any of this sounds like Lupus?
Hi Lilly,
Welcome to the Lupus MedHelp forum.  

I checked MedHelps "Symptom Checker" and entered itchiness and abdominal pain.  Here is the site to go to:
http://www.medhelp.org/symptomsearch?addterm=itchiness

Some of the things that came up were
pancreatitis
gallstones
hepatitis (which can simply be inflamation (inflammation) of the liver)
cirrhosis
hyperparathyroidism

The thing about lupus is it "can" affect any and every area of the whole entire body.  But most people w/ lupus also have joint pain.  I didn't see that in your list.  Fibromyalgia can cause tingling in the extremeties and dizzy spells.  The important thing about fibro is you need to get plenty of sleep.  

Hope any of this helps.  We are a good group of people here and would certainly like to help.

God bless, Kara
Hi, Karajo,

Thank you for responding. I do still have joint pain, although it is not as wide spread as it was when I was younger. It seems to come and go- most of the time in my fingers- but will go from left knee, to ankle, to shoulder, and sometimes hip. I have an appointment with a new dr. on thursday and I'll take that list of things to ask him about. I forgot to add earlier that I seem to get worse in the winter. Every winter around december until April ( winter lasts that long in MN, lol) I get some type of lung infection or cough that goes along with all my other symptoms being worse.
How did you dr. appt. go Thursday?
It was a little hard to take. I was able to have blood tests but I felt the Dr. was not listening to me. I was told the itching was from shaving( although it is on my arms and back as well where I have no reason to shave!) and that sometimes when people are depressed they don't feel good, and I am not depressed. I have to wait a week for results but have already decided to go see a rheumatologist who would know a little more.
I know it's hard when you feel like a doctor already makes their mind up about what is going on with you.  Were you able to point out the fact that you also itch on your arms and back?  I know my Rheumatologist cuts me off and doesn't hear me out.  She likes to see me every 3 months, but I asked her if I could go 6 months.  I just feel like I'm wasting my time and money going to see her.  The only reason I stay with her is because she agrees I need to stay on Plaquinel, which is helping me out so much.  My family doctor is really a better help.  When I tell her any thing quirky going on in my body, she either pats me on the leg and tells me I'm fine, or she says she doesn't know and I would need to ask my family dr.  

Keep me posted on the outcome.
Praying for you, Kara
I gave her a brief history and tried to tell her everything I was feeling. The main reason I've been going to doctors again is the fact that my itching has spread to my arms and I told her that, I also told her the only thing that helps my legs is shaving. I think she wrote me off as a hypochondriac right away. I also look VERY young for my age( I'm 24 but look 12) which makes it hard to be taken seriously a lot.I know it will be a while and take a lot of meetings like this last one before I find a dr. that will listen to me. It helps knowing that others share my frustrations though:D
I completely know what you are talking about.  I've always looks years younger than I was.  When I was 20 and pregnant, a lady in the department store was treating me so rudely. I finally asked her why she was treating me this way, she said because I was not a minute over 13 and pregnant.  Don't know why I felt I had to show her my driver's license to prove my age, but I did.  You get so frustrated being treated like a child, when you're not.  Eventually, people get over that.  But I think it's a reflection of their character.  There's a scripture where Paul tells young Timothy not to LET others look down on you because of your age.  So I guess this attitude has been around for quite some time.

Praying for God to open doors for you that need to be opened.

blessings, Kara